Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have say maybe 100 birds... and have had most of them since fall and was getting eggs from half/+ a day and for the last 3 months nothing

I had my layers pened up but it got cold and there combs started turning gray mind me the coop is a 1000sqft and run 1000sqft

Any how i started letting them free range and combs are back bright red but no eggs and its been 3 weeks.

I cant tell you a breed because there buff orp. Black stars. Leg horns and many more

I have reverted to a timer and light for the last 2 nights still no eggs but i refuss to buy any more eggs

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I have 20 hens and get 12 eggs per day (give or take one or two) ... This is the season to rest before spring.

A lot of things come into play but if you have 100 birds and getting no eggs !!! ??? !!! (something is not right ... sorry)

Start with the basics ... feed, water & grit...and clean nest box (I add no extra light or heat for my birds)

If they range maybe they have found a better nest area... it does happen.

Other than that I'm lost ... IMO with that number of birds you should get something ...

What kind of feed do you use?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have changed feeds several times ... i was getting 25% protein feed cheap so i was feeding through molt and well after

And then switched to 16% for a little while.

Now im feeding a hog feed that my mentor uses and its seems to be perking them up but i feed about. 3 pounds + they free range

·
Registered
320 Posts
Are you sure they are not laying in a new spot or a predator is not actively taking them? Would have to be one consistent predator though.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
(IMO) I would slowly change to an "all grain" chicken layer (with an auto feeder), with that I would add about a pound of sunflower seeds every day or so and start there ...

Along with hunting for some nest area where they free range.

Keep us posted ...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cant find any new nest my one banty lays in a corner and for some time so did all the other free rangers but now i only get a banty egg once every few weeks

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
They will turn off laying if it's really cold, and with the low light in winter. It could also be the changes in feed. Buy a laying chicken feed and stick to it. They will lay when they are ready.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts