Chicken Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting fresh at 50-something requires all the skills my husband & I have acquired over the years. He was given a 8x10 wooden shed by his boss, brought it home on the flatbed trailer of his 18-wheeler and we proceeded in starting our first steps of homesteading. We started with five 9-month-old pullets/hens and a few quinea keets. All the birds have to live in covered coops due to resident hawks. I’m still very much a newby at this and will be needing advice along the way.

We recently bought a RIR rooster, who is currently in the quarantine pen. He is close enough to hear the girls, and is very indignant about not being allowed to be where they are. When they first heard him crow, the girls came alive. They started quivering and clucking like a bunch of teenage groupies. Almost immediately his name became “Elvis”. It’s time to move Elvis to the regular pen. When is the best time and the best method to introduce a new rooster to a house full of hens? Do I just open the door & set him in? or should I slip him in during the night? I am so glad to have found this forum and look forward to meeting everyone.:)

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi Queenie! Welcome! :D I'm of no help when it comes to roo's since I don't have one. Lots of members on here who do though so I'm sure you'll be getting answers very soon. I do know though, that slipping in a newbie during the night doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Hello from Cat Spring, TX. I am sorry I can't help you with your roo question but hopefully someone will come along who can.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to follow up, Probably because I was laughing too hard. I put Elvis in an animal carrier, set it in the middle of the hen house, opened the door and waited to see what would happen. He came out in full glory, the girls all got so excited they followed him around like true Elvis fans. The runt would stay right by his side, and would frequently reach up and peck him gently on his waddles. The new is beginning to wear off ~ but I now have 2 nests full of fertilized, (hopefully), eggs! :D

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Woo hoo Elvis! Keep us posted please!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Elvis has entered the building...Hi from Colorado

·
Banned
825 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi to all! Between the chickens & guineas, I don't know which are funnier. We had the girls since last August, and they got real relaxed with their lazy lifestyle. Elvis has turned their routine upside down. Now he's crowing at 5:00 and won't stop until they are standing out in the coop looking miserable. (Before, they would wander out around 8 or 9:00). He, on the other hand, leads from behind - while they are standing in the yard, he's still hanging out inside. :) Yep, gotta love those fellers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts