Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all new to the chicken scene. I have 10 black sexlinks I'm hoping to let free range. Any advice would be helpful.:)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mine free range everyday and love it. I get home from work and yell treats and they all come running. They stay within a good range from the house. So far no bad results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you pinkter. What I am concerned about is getting them all back in at the same time. How long did it take you to get them used to that routine?

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you are concerned about them going into the coop of a night, lock them in it for a few days with food and water and them let them out. After that, they will begin to go inside the coop when it gets dark.

·
Banned
825 Posts
WELCOME from NEW MEXICO !
The chicks will get accustomed to going to bed together at the same time in the evenings. Don't worry about it.
( They have their OWN CLOCK. )
They'll do it on their own.

Your Black Sex-Links will be GREAT egg-layers !!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Re-TIRED, glad to hear they will get in their own routine!
That is what I have heard about their egg laying capabilities, so excited!!!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
We started calling ours in with treats rattling in a bucket or with a plastic bag sound. Works like a charm if we have to leave in a sudden hurry and its still daylight out so they don't want to go inside yet. I also called them in at the same time so they learned to associate words. For me it was simply "come on mama's chickens." Chickens are pretty smart so they will learn. Just have to be consistent same as training a dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts