Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm VERY new to chickens (so new that I don't have them yet...getting them on Monday) so I was wondering if anyone has some good advice of any kind.
Thanks
Olivia

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi Olivia. What kind of advice are you looking for? Lots of it here so give us a little idea of what you need to know.

·
Registered
468 Posts
hi and welcome! my very best advice is to read read read! i swear i read 15 books before i got mine! they have some really Great books like Storeys guide to raising chickens, or the chicken whisper guide to backyard chickens. first thing is if your getting new born chicks you need a brooder with a heat lamp.a red heat lamp is best. the temp for new born is 95 the first week dropping the temp by 5 degrees each week. get a thermometer to check the temp. you will want a warm side and a cool side where they can get away from the heat. they let you know if they are cold by huddling under the light, if hot they will pant or ruffle feathers and be far away from heat source. you want them evenly dispersed happily chirping not loud distress chirps. they need feed and water. put rocks or marbles in water to prevent drowning. i feed mine medicated feed to prevent cocci but that's a personal choice. you can use non medicated if you wish. i use pine shavings as litter, do not use ceder it will kill the chicks. i use a huge box as a brooder its actually a watermelon bin from the grocery store for free! its what the watermelons are shipped in. the walls are tall and thick and strong! i pick up the poo a few times a day and completely clean shavings once a week. keep fresh water check often because they dirty it easily. i keep food and water on boards to keep it out of litter .i Hope this helps and best wishes! show pics when they come!

·
Registered
468 Posts
also when chicks first come you must teach them to drink by dipping the beak into the water so they know where it is.electrolytes are Great to put into the water at first helps with stress.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
7chicks said:
Hi Olivia. What kind of advice are you looking for? Lots of it here so give us a little idea of what you need to know.
Um well...how big my coop should be if I'm getting 6 chicks...stuff like that ( nothing special)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
realsis said:
hi and welcome! my very best advice is to read read read! i swear i read 15 books before i got mine! they have some really Great books like Storeys guide to raising chickens, or the chicken whisper guide to backyard chickens. first thing is if your getting new born chicks you need a brooder with a heat lamp.a red heat lamp is best. the temp for new born is 95 the first week dropping the temp by 5 degrees each week. get a thermometer to check the temp. you will want a warm side and a cool side where they can get away from the heat. they let you know if they are cold by huddling under the light, if hot they will pant or ruffle feathers and be far away from heat source. you want them evenly dispersed happily chirping not loud distress chirps. they need feed and water. put rocks or marbles in water to prevent drowning. i feed mine medicated feed to prevent cocci but that's a personal choice. you can use non medicated if you wish. i use pine shavings as litter, do not use ceder it will kill the chicks. i use a huge box as a brooder its actually a watermelon bin from the grocery store for free! its what the watermelons are shipped in. the walls are tall and thick and strong! i pick up the poo a few times a day and completely clean shavings once a week. keep fresh water check often because they dirty it easily. i keep food and water on boards to keep it out of litter .i Hope this helps and best wishes! show pics when they come!
Thanks realsis...I can't find any books about chickens but I downloaded 3 apps about chickens and I have been read these forums. Thanks for the info about when i get them and the brooder. And I will be post a thousand pics of my bbys :)

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I started out with 6 chicks, half RIR, half Barred Rock. Hubby was going to build the coop as 4x6. Told him absolutely not! Gave him my drawing of what I needed and where everything was going. We ended up making it 8x6. Its perfect for the 9 girls I have. Enough room for the nest boxes in a corner, the perch on the back wall by the heat source, mini-perch between the big perch and nest boxes, big window and their little door to access the run. I wanted room for them to move and me. Room to add another chicken or two or three as it ended up being. Better to be a bit on the bigger side than to be to small and have to add on. I have had to add on to the run but that's no biggy. Design it to be like Fort Knox so you won't have to worry about predators getting in.

As for their feed, I had them on the medicated chick feed and I always gave them different treats like Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cottage cheese, yogurt, cooked oatmeal. Things like that for added vitamins and just to spoil them.

If you are having them for pets, handle them lots. It will turn them into the nicest pets as they get older. Mine come by name which is great when I have to pen them up in a hurry for some reason or just need to get them back inside for the night. Didn't take them long to learn their names. Even the older one that was 6 months old when I got her, learned her name within a few days. She had never been handled much prior let alone have a name.

Don't ever use cedar wood shavings for their flooring. Its toxic to their respiratory systems. Use pine shavings if you are going to use wood shavings.

That's about all I can think of right off to get you started. Hope this helps answer some of the questions you might have had rolling around. :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!!! That was amazing!! You gave me lots of things to incorporate in my coop and chickens!! We have lots of fruits and veggies laying around my house so they will be happy! Also I have been BEGGING my dad to let me get chicks and FINALLY he agreed so I don't think handling them will be a problem! And me and my friend have already picked out there names! Again thanks for all the advice!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My chicks!!!! Just got today!!! I have electrodes in water,I dipped their beaks in water, and almost everything u guys told me!!!!! Thanks for everything u guys helped me with!!! I don't know what I would without u guys!!! THANKS!!! <3

Olivia

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Dear Olivia, I am also new, and I was wondering where you got your brooder light and light bulb? Also, I there a certain light bulb that I need? Yours looked perfect for what I need.

·
Registered
187 Posts
AlexTS113 said:
And, sorry my asking, where do you live?
Olivia, I'm not your mother, and you can do what you will, but if you answer these questions and you were my daughter, I'd be furious.

Just sayin'

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
AlexTS113 said:
Dear Olivia, I am also new, and I was wondering where you got your brooder light and light bulb? Also, I there a certain light bulb that I need? Yours looked perfect for what I need.
You can pick them up at feed stores, and hardware stores like Home Depot.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts