Chicken Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks for adding me! I'm new to the chicken arena, I have been keeping chickens for 3 years but this is the first time that we have had baby chicks from ours. I have been rescuing these chicks from the pen as the older chickens ( not mom) have been attacking them as they can't keep up with mom. The first chick that was born is the only one that can keep up and that she is protecting. Now I have one with open areas on its head and neck and cannot open its eyes, another with weak legs, another with its side under the wing exposed and raw from being malled and one more that that mom was just pecking at. My question is should i try and retrieve the last chick? I would really appreciate any advice on helping these little ones. I have the 4 that were rescued in the house and finally calm. More eggs to hatch.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welcome from Florida.
My wife is the chicken whisperer, I'm just the hired hand.
What my wife does when she gets (or hatches) new chicks is to keep them by themselves for about 4 to 6 weeks until they are bigger.
We have separate pens/coops for different flocks inside the large general area. It's easier to control the birds, and keep roosters separated.

Reactions: robin416

·
Registered
106 Posts
@ricepaddydaddy, dang guy it's been a while since you've visited.
Yeah, I know, stammers RPD, his face turning red as he looks down at the floor.
I was on one of my homesteading forums, and a newbie was asking questions about raising chickens, so I gave her the link to here.
I see Vertical Scope did the software update here, I'm an admin on one of their prepper forums.
I'll try to get around more often.

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
Which one? It's not Homesteading Today because I'm on that one and haven't seen you there. Unless you haven't noticed, the new owners don't care if we share links between their websites. I think they kind of encourage it.

Yes, the update happened. It got dumped on us with no warning.

If anyone has questions over your way, for sure send them here. We're nice folks.

Anyway, happy to see you. Don't be all red in the face. I just happen to be one of those still here that recognized you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Which one? It's not Homesteading Today because I'm on that one and haven't seen you there. Unless you haven't noticed, the new owners don't care if we share links between their websites. I think they kind of encourage it.

Yes, the update happened. It got dumped on us with no warning.

If anyone has questions over your way, for sure send them here. We're nice folks.

Anyway, happy to see you. Don't be all red in the face. I just happen to be one of those still here that recognized you.
I'm on Homesteading Today, but the chicken question came up on Homesteading & Country Living Forum.
I'm a member of 20-30 forums, mainly guns and stuff.
I'm an admin at Prepper Forum/Survivalist Forum. I was a mod but when we went thru the upgrade I was asked if I was interested in stepping up.
Cricket was the honcho doing that site, was she here as well? A great person, and now a friend.

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
Yes, Cricket was part of the uploading here. When I said they dumped the change on us, that's exactly what they did. If I hadn't already been on HT I wouldn't have been able to help the peeps here.

I quit HCL several years ago. I just can't get with the extremes of some of them on that site. Even though Mark (Havasu) is there. Austin never did really join. I don't know what ever became of him.

So, the wife is still the chicken whisperer?

·
Registered
106 Posts
So, the wife is still the chicken whisperer?
Yes, she'll be 76 in October and she's still keeping chickens. And riding her mare. She worries me sometimes.:)
We've got 7 old ladies, Auracanas, Plymouth Barred Rocks, Delawares that are the remnants of their flocks and even at 7-8 years of age still give us eggs.
Then there's 6 two year old Auracanas with a rooster that are fabulous layers.
Right now they are in molt, though.
When we started 27 years ago, feed was less than $6 per bag. Now look at it!!

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
6$? Oh boy, you just reminded me it was indeed just six dollars a bag. Ouch that hurts. I'm not as well positioned for feed choices like I was in TN so now I pay a premium for TSC feed.

I'm out of chickens now. I sold out over ten years ago. Kept the birds that were my pets. The last one just died a few months back. Now I have quail. They kept the last old girl company and some guineas.

I'm right behind her, I turned 71 this year. No more horses to ride for me though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts