Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I love all that I am learning from this group.
I am going to be getting some layers and meat chickens, Cornish Rock Cross. My question is, can I raise both in the same brooder? And put them in the same Coop when their age allows it?
Thank you.

BTW, I will be reading everything about dogs and chickens especially since this gal has 2 bird dogs. Lol....I have Brittany's. Super loving dogs with a high prey drive. Life will be interesting.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am going to be getting some layers and meat chickens, Cornish Rock Cross. My question is, can I raise both in the same brooder? And put them in the same Coop when their age allows it?
Thank you.

BTW, I will be reading everything about dogs and chickens especially since this gal has 2 bird dogs. Lol....I have Brittany's. Super loving dogs with a high prey drive. Life will be interesting.
Hmmmm...

Bird Dogs and Chickens??!! Should be fun...for the dogs!

Welcome and kindly keep us up to speed on the interaction betwixt the 2...

·
Administrator
17,579 Posts
Others have made mention of keeping the two groups together.

The dog issue might be quite frustrating. If you can't convince him/her that the flock is part of your pack you won't be able to free range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Others have made mention of keeping the two groups together.

The dog issue might be quite frustrating. If you can't convince him/her that the flock is part of your pack you won't be able to free range.
I can definitely keep the fur kids in while the chickens get to free range.

·
Administrator
17,579 Posts
I had lab mix dogs. One of them was lab/hound of some sort. He was the toughest one I had to convince to leave my birds be.

I do recommend having a solid run for the birds to protect them from other predators. That way they can be protected but still be in the outdoors.

·
Super Moderator
2,975 Posts
Thank you.

The birds will all get along better later, if you raise them in the same brooder now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts