Chicken Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've been poking around for a while trying to get an idea of what chickens are like. I really want some but my husband thinks they are expensive and messy, and ideas on how to convince him? I've been talking about them for about a year, and all our neighbors have them, so when when we walk I have lots of opportunity to bring them up. Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Chickens are not expensive to keep but can be a bit spendy to get set up for. Depends on resources you have for building them a coop and if you are going to build them a run. What materials you use to build those things can make that a bit of a spendy project. Ours was built with new lumber but used siding and the main window is one we had sitting around. Lumber was all bought on sale along with the 1/4" hard cloth for fencing in their run.

Feed is around $15 for a 50 lb bag which with when I had just the 6 - 7 hens, would last a month. I have 2 ducks now though and boy do they eat! And they are messy!!! My chickens are really not too bad. I clean up their poops from during the night first thing in the morning so that makes keeping their coop clean much easier over all. Their little "gifts" are recycled into my gardens and around my shrubs. They love kitchen food scraps! Tasty treats to them and good for them.

Chickens are so friendly and if you choose to keep them as pets as I have, you'll find they make really great pets. They will follow you all over the yard and some will want to be held and sit in your lap to tell you about their day. Mine learned their names in short order. Even the one I had given to me at 6 months old that had limited handling, learned her name within 3 days and learned to not mind being picked up for petting. They're actually a lot of company and are so excited to see you when you come home at the end of the day. The one thing that they don't come with, is a blackbox warning about how addicting they are!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Feed is around $15 for a 50 lb bag which with when I had just the 6 - 7 hens, would last a month. I have 2 ducks now though and boy do they eat! And they are messy!!! My chickens are really not too bad. I clean up their poops from during the night first thing in the morning so that makes keeping their coop clean much easier over all. Their little "gifts" are recycled into my gardens and around my shrubs. They love kitchen food scraps! Tasty treats to them and good for them.

This is good for me to know! Thank you for the tip! My husband is a contractor so the coop and run would be made from materials that we have as scrap around here, but I want to be able to show him that they can be worth what we put is to save us on the cost of eggs, we eat about 5 dozen every two weeks, we have company for breakfast every weekend. Plus a they are healthier and would be our own! So thank you again for the info on cost of food!

·
977 Posts
7 chicks said it all ! The chickens are my relax chore! Lol! When I get home from work and walk up to the coop, they all come running to me! Course they are probably more excited to see what kind of goodies I am bringing them but I love it just the same ! Welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same problem. It took me two years to get him to weaken. Then one weak moment he said "I don't really want them, but I want you to be happy, so go ahead". I jumped and ordered immediately (that's the trick!). Then when he reconsidered, it was too late! He still isn't thrilled about my getting them (they have yet to arrive..May 8th), but I know once he sees how little bother they are to him and how friendly (I hope), they are, I think he will come around. Everyone I consulted with said thier hubbys like them once they are there. Just remember to clean them regularly so you won't hear any complaints!
Good Luck, I know how hard it is to want them so and meet resistence. I haven't introduced myself to the community yet because I am waiting until I have my chicks, but everyone seems to be so nice on this site, I am excited to belong here. I have read other sites and this is definetly my favorite.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
My hubby was not crazy about the chickens when they were small. Would not pick them up unless he absolutely "had" to. Once they got more full grown, then he was as addicted as I. Guys he works with have chickens so he talks chicken more than I do! :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to hear this! Thanks y'all. Now just waiting for a moment of weakness ... What kind of chicks did you get and how did you decide?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I started with Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks because they were available already sexed, easy to care for, friendly, and hardy with cold winters. Started with 3 of each. We did lose a RIR at a year old for unknown causes but the rest of my first chicks are all still here and doing well. They will be 3 years old on the 16th. Ameraucana are also very friendly and easy to care for along with Australorps, Isa Brown, Orpington's, Easter Eggers, and many other breeds. Depends too on why you want chickens as far as what to chose besides environment where you live. Mine are meant to be pets so I was looking specifically for easy for beginner, hardy, and friendliness. I held mine a LOT when they were little. Sometimes to their liking, other times not. ;) They do all come when called as a group or individually by name just like a dog will. Most of them are pretty content to be held too. They follow everywhere. Yes, occasionally right straight into the house when I am loaded down with groceries or laundry and can't shut the door behind me without clipping their toes. Little brats - determined to get their treats. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi everyone. My babies arrived a day early! The post contacted me yesterday and said they were in. I was a nervous wreck because they came all the way across the country and I was hoping they would all be well. When I picked them up, you could hear them cheeping all the way from the other side of the building as they brought them out. 100% healthy happy chicks. KJegloff, in answer to your question, I got a black australorpe, a delaware, a buff orpington and a salmon favorelle. I am expecting 2 more to arrive in June when they will all be about the same age as the four I have now. The other two will be a coronation sussex and a blue laced red wyandotte. I chose these breeds because they are all fairly heavy breeds and are considered cold hardy (I live in Massachusetts) and all are considered docile and friendly and are fair to good egg layers. I was a little worried when I read that the delaware can be a little mean to the other birds, but was reassured that she will probably be fine since they came together. Someone said the delaware would be the inquisative one and bolder than the others and boy were they right! I opened the box to check them and as I was reaching for my camera, she hopped right onto the edge of the box to look at me. The Salmon Favorelle is supposed to be at the lower end of the pecking order and mine looks to be the smallest of the four so I will have to watch her, but they cuddle, drink and eat and are active and healthy so I couldn't be happier. when I hold them they don't want me to put them down and hold on for dear life, with the exception of the salmon favorelle. she is funny. she runs around like she is screaming the sky is falling and tries to keep me from picking her up, but when I get her, she looks at me as if to say "I wonder why I was running so much, this isn't so bad". Don't give up wanting them. They are worth the wait. I don't think saving money from the eggs is valid though because I spent enough in the building and things that it would take years to make up the savings. I think the argument is that they bring you joy and make you happy and you get the benefit of eggs is more realistic. Good luck and don't give up with your dream! I don't know how to post pictures on this site yet, but if I figure it out I will send pictures of Henney, Penney, Lucy and Gwen!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
7chicks which breed is in your pic? Where did you find details on breeds like temperament, egg laying etc? Asking on here? I live by the bay so it never freezes here. When we get them they won't be free range. Not sure if that matters for breed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Troub - that's so exciting! I couldn't see your pic but I bet they're super cute! I met some baby chicks yesterday at a friends house and that made me want them that much more. I think we should wait until our baby is older though. At 14mo he was a little rough.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Well, hi y'all!! I missed the welcomes on you two, but better late than never! Just build bigger than you think you need, because they are so addictive!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi kjegloff. The little girl in the picture is a delaware. she is adorable. I went to every site I could find to read about different breeds. I also bought a couple of books. When I saw people saying the same thing over and over about the chickens and their personalities and tolerance to heat/cold etc., I went from there. if you look in this forum under breeds, there is also a small profile on different breeds. From what I can see, some breeds do better as foragers or range free and others do well with being confined. some do well in both. Those are the ones I looked for. I spent a lot of time reading and researching (which only made me want them more!). It is worth doing though so you know you are not going to get any surprises or be unhappy with a certain behavior and that they will get along well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts