Chicken Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I found out on Monday that my townl has reversed its homesteading law so in addition to our garden we are now allowed up to 12 hens!! I have never kept poultry before, but have wanted to for years. I have spent the last 4 days reading anything I can find about getting started. I want to start with 3 but am still trying to decide what I want. I know I want to either buy or build a coop and pen for 6-8 so more can be added later on.

I will probably be getting my new friends in May or June.
Any suggestions for someone on 1/4 acre, in a plat who wants fresh eggs and has never done this before?

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
hello and welcome. i built my own coop and my own run, although my chickens freerange for most of the day, if its eggs you want then go for some heavy layers.
if you click on the chickens tab in the header bar obove it will give you some ideas.
i have 3 chickens at the moment, a light sussex a white silkie and a clydach clocker. i am hoping to adopt 3 more the end of thiis month.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hello! Welcome to the forum. :) We too built our own coop. I insisted it be bigger than the the spouse wanted. In the end, he found I was right. :D As if a wife is "ever" wrong. ;) I figure go bigger now and if you end up getting more chickens later, no big deal. Go for planned amount of chickens, and its very hard to expand. I started with 6 day old chicks. (Up to 9 with a bit of a mix of breeds now.) Three Rhode Islands and three Barred Rocks. Both very friendly breeds and very hardy. Australorps are very docile and friendly too. Lots of other good easy starter breeds out there. Ameraucana, Easter Eggers, Orphingtons to name a few more.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello! Welcome to the forum. :) We too built our own coop. I insisted it be bigger than the the spouse wanted. In the end, he found I was right. :D As if a wife is "ever" wrong. ;) I figure go bigger now and if you end up getting more chickens later, no big deal. Go for planned amount of chickens, and its very hard to expand. I started with 6 day old chicks. (Up to 9 with a bit of a mix of breeds now.) Three Rhode Islands and three Barred Rocks. Both very friendly breeds and very hardy. Australorps are very docile and friendly too. Lots of other good easy starter breeds out there. Ameraucana, Easter Eggers, Orphingtons to name a few more.
Hi Rob and 7chicks!!
I am pretty much considering every breed you just mentioned!!
I was told by several friends that there is a certain hatchery they go through that they are very happy with, but the shipping is a killer and I am hoping I can find someone local who has pullets available in the breeds I want. I really don't want to do chicks as they have to be kept in the house, they are soooo delicate, and my town will not allow me to keep roos and chicks mostly come in a straight run. I know if I had a roo chick it would be really hard to let him go.

I also love silkie and serama bantams.....how much would it hurt to sneak one or 2 of those in with a trio of hens?

·
977 Posts
Welcome Star, I have my Silkies seperate but that is just me. I have a pair of Japanese Bantams though that stay up with the big chickens and are just fine. I guess I just think Silkies are more delicate because of their vaulted heads that I won't try them with my other chickens. There are a few on here that do mix the small breeds in and they are fine with them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome!
My head is spinning, it is going to be months until I can get the coop up, and the food supply and all the things they need.....and know enough so that they will get the very best care. But I love every breed I see!
I guess I need to wait til I am set up and see what is available in my area!

·
Registered
468 Posts
hi, im new here too! Im awaiting the arrival of my three bearded silkie chicks! im very excited. I got their coop up and need to work on making them a bigger run. il be adding to their coop another nesting box so all my girls can comfortably nest. I ordered my coop and its a lot smaller than i expected but with some handy work i think it will be fine. My chicks are coming in early feb. by mail which im very nervous about!! although where they are comming from is not too far im worried about the shipping. I pray they all arrive healthy and happy!! well i just wanted to say hello and we can learn together :) soo much to know!! good luck to you!!

·
977 Posts
Welcome realsis. I am excited about your babies too! I do hope they arrive safely. Post some pics when they arrive!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If my yard turns out to be too small for large fowl, I would LOVE silkies. Depends on what the husband thinks. No roos allowed here though, and I have heard that it is hard to tell with silkies. But either way, chickies are coming by early summer. :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yes sexing silkiest is very difficult, as a matter of fact I can not have ANY roosters either so what I did was get my chicks DNA tested to ensure hens. At the farm I purchased my silkiest from is a farm that only raises silkies and they offer DNA testing for around 15 dollars which I thought was really quite reasonable! If you are interested in silkies they ship nation wide!! Also they will do the DNA testing. There shipping is a flat rate for as little as one hen to as many as you like. I really liked this option because many places have a shipping minimum order. They do not. They also ship with a little fresh fruit for the chicks. If your interested send me a message and I'll give you the link. I really like the fact they DNA test! Then you are assured your hens. It's great for folks like us who can't have roos. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I suggest posting what you know. There are plenty of silkie folks here that would love the info for their own future reference. Me for one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts