Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Great forum!.. I am Englsih though living in Ireland. Chicken keeping is fairly new to me but I am learning all the time. I have five ex batts and two RIR. I love it and will be posting pics and stuff as I go!! :D

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for the welcomes. Its great to have other like minded people to learn stuff from.

Hi EdenJohnny, I am in Skryne....not too far from Ashbourne... where are you?

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thats not far. Maybe we can meet up and chat chicken!

Would love to meet up with other chicken people and get info. I have sick chickens at the mo and I am getting antiobiotics to hopefully help them, but it might be too late. Would love to learn from your expereinces....

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Eden,

I have six ex batts. I had one put to sleep last week. I think they have micoplasma?? Symtoms are sneezing, coughing, runny noses etc. I also have two RIR pullets in with them. They are showing no symptoms but the other four are, some worse than others. They are on Tylan from yesterday but I am not hopeful. I just hope the pullets dont get it as its too late to move them now. If they go, all of my little flock will have been wiped out.

If only I knew what it was before I could have saved time and maybe things would be okay. Have learned alot about illness's anyway. I have so many remedies now....Apple cider vinegar, hoban, god knows what else...spent a fortune. Just hope they get better but cant help but think I am just buying them abit of time.

What makes it worse is they have a plastic coup, Im strict about cleaning it every week, clean up the poo everyday. How on earth did they catch this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi EC, how long have you had them? remember they came from a controlled envirement , and were on antibiotics in their feed, and suddenly .... the big world.

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had them a year and have never had a days illness so i have been lucky really. Some dont last that long.

They are still laying and because they are on Tylan you cant eat the eggs. It would be a shame to waste them and was wondering if I could boi
l them and give them back to them??

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I can't see why not. They would only get a dose of antibiotic and I doubt they would eat the entire egg by themselves. Like one chicken eating a whole egg. Tylan has a pretty broad dose range too. So not toxic or detrimental.

·
Registered
2 Posts
7chicks said:
Hi englishchick! Happy to have you join us. :)
Hi not sure what I am doing! I am new to chicken I brought 4 day old chicks they are now 2weeks old and growing very fast I am keeping them inside with lamp when can I put them outside

·
Registered
24 Posts
yes get them off heat now , it was way too long anyway. keepthem in a warmish place/shed , for a week with excursions outside in day to accclimatise.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts