Newbie from Ireland!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by englishchick, Aug 17, 2012.

1. englishchick

englishchick Junior Member

Hi All,

Great forum!.. I am Englsih though living in Ireland. Chicken keeping is fairly new to me but I am learning all the time. I have five ex batts and two RIR. I love it and will be posting pics and stuff as I go!! :D

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Hi englishchick! Happy to have you join us. :)

3. rob

rob New Member

welcome aboard :)

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Hello and welcome. Come on in the water's fine.

5. fiana

fiana Member

Hi and welcome from west cork!

6. oakwood

oakwood New Member

Hello:) i am from England too . :)

7. edenjohnny

edenjohnny New Member

Hi Englishchick, which part of Meath are you living? I am also there.

8. englishchick

Hi All,

Thanks for the welcomes. Its great to have other like minded people to learn stuff from.

Hi EdenJohnny, I am in Skryne....not too far from Ashbourne... where are you?

9. edenjohnny

edenjohnny New Member

I am also English, and I live just north of Navan nr. Wilkinstown/Rathkenny

10. englishchick

Hey thats not far. Maybe we can meet up and chat chicken!

Would love to meet up with other chicken people and get info. I have sick chickens at the mo and I am getting antiobiotics to hopefully help them, but it might be too late. Would love to learn from your expereinces....

11. edenjohnny

edenjohnny New Member

EC hope its just chat chicken , lol what is wrong with them ?

12. englishchick

Hi Eden,

I have six ex batts. I had one put to sleep last week. I think they have micoplasma?? Symtoms are sneezing, coughing, runny noses etc. I also have two RIR pullets in with them. They are showing no symptoms but the other four are, some worse than others. They are on Tylan from yesterday but I am not hopeful. I just hope the pullets dont get it as its too late to move them now. If they go, all of my little flock will have been wiped out.

If only I knew what it was before I could have saved time and maybe things would be okay. Have learned alot about illness's anyway. I have so many remedies now....Apple cider vinegar, hoban, god knows what else...spent a fortune. Just hope they get better but cant help but think I am just buying them abit of time.

What makes it worse is they have a plastic coup, Im strict about cleaning it every week, clean up the poo everyday. How on earth did they catch this?

13. edenjohnny

edenjohnny New Member

Hi EC, how long have you had them? remember they came from a controlled envirement , and were on antibiotics in their feed, and suddenly .... the big world.

14. englishchick

I have had them a year and have never had a days illness so i have been lucky really. Some dont last that long.

They are still laying and because they are on Tylan you cant eat the eggs. It would be a shame to waste them and was wondering if I could boi
    l them and give them back to them??

15. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I can't see why not. They would only get a dose of antibiotic and I doubt they would eat the entire egg by themselves. Like one chicken eating a whole egg. Tylan has a pretty broad dose range too. So not toxic or detrimental.

16. edenjohnny

edenjohnny New Member

Just make sure they dont look like an egg(chopped up) or they "may" eat their own eggs later.

17. paula

paula New Member

Hi not sure what I am doing! I am new to chicken I brought 4 day old chicks they are now 2weeks old and growing very fast I am keeping them inside with lamp when can I put them outside

18. edenjohnny

edenjohnny New Member

yes get them off heat now , it was way too long anyway. keepthem in a warmish place/shed , for a week with excursions outside in day to accclimatise.

19. paula

paula New Member

The temp I keeping them in is about 28 the outside temp is about 15/ 16 do you think that ok

20. edenjohnny

edenjohnny New Member

if they have acccess to the warmer inside, if they need it , they will go there.