Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
My daughter is in 4-H and raises sheep, but wanted to try raising chickens fir fun and eggs. We have NO experience with them at all. We just ordered 10 chicks and expect to get them in a few weeks. What size coop is recommended for 10 chickens? (if they all make it) any and all advice for starting out is welcome.

·
172 Posts
Welcome Newbie from Central CA. I'm from Central CA in Kingsburg . But I know what we Californians call north south and central can vary for hundreds of miles depending on who's talking. As far as space, I've heard everything from 2 to 4 square feet. Personally I don't worry to much about the coop but give them a plenty big run space. I have about 240 square feet of run space for about 10 to 15 birds. Just make everything easier to keep clean and happy. Then I can divide it into 2 parts if I need to. Options are good. Just remember "Chicken Math". If you plan on 2 birds, your end up with 3 or 4. :p

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Hello all!
My daughter is in 4-H and raises sheep, but wanted to try raising chickens fir fun and eggs. We have NO experience with them at all. We just ordered 10 chicks and expect to get them in a few weeks. What size coop is recommended for 10 chickens? (if they all make it) any and all advice for starting out is welcome.
Hi and welcome from Wisconsin. As for your coop, 3sq ft per bird inside the coop and 10sq ft per bird in the run, is the suggested size. Any smaller and you risk fighting, picking,ect from lack of space. You'll also need 2 or 3 nest boxes for 10 hens.
Oh and we're a 4-H family as well. My daughter is our clubs youth poultry leader and I'm the general leader :).My daughter will be showing her White Cochin this year.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hello from Michigan! Welcome aboard. :) What kind of chicks are you getting? You and your family are really going to enjoy having chickens. They are addicting so make the coop bigger than you think you'll need. We did and boy, 5 additions later, is my hubby glad I insisted on the size that I did! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts