Chicken Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm from Contra Costa County in the East San Francisco Bay Area. I'm totally new to all things chicken. Well, besides eating ones from the supermarket. We have two black Bantam Cochin Frizzles and two Leghorns in the brooder right now, about three and two weeks old, respectively. We are purchasing a coop from Mill Valley Chickens next week (if anyone has experience with them, good or bad, I'd be interested to know), as well as two Ameraucana pullets. (sp?) We will build a run because the predators here are relentless, so unfortunately there's no way we can free range. The Frizzles are already proving to be wonderful pets, and we're hoping the Leghorns are both pullets (sp) because we got them for their laying ability. The Ameraucanas will be sexed before we get them so yay for that.

I'm going to have fun poking around this site absorbing as much information as I can!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have had a tough time learning the hardway about predators. And that includes things you wouldn't expect like this pair of ravens. Go full blast or you will eventually need to clean up dead birds. Most importantly is to enjoy them.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi! Welcome aboard. Sounds like you're off to a great start with the chickens. If you have questions, just ask. Lots of great people here who will help you out. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens! On the coop, just inspect it for good construction. Think of all the possible situations you could encounter as far as different types of animals that could get into it. If there is a run included, is the fence portion strong enough to keep a coyote/dog out of it? Can anything get through the spaces between the wires? Can anything dig under it? Can anything climb over it (Is the top fenced)? If there are doors, are there latches that an animal can't open? I hope this helps. I've never bought a coop, I've always built my own and I am sure to ask myself these questions as I build.
See you around the forums! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens! On the coop, just inspect it for good construction. Think of all the possible situations you could encounter as far as different types of animals that could get into it. If there is a run included, is the fence portion strong enough to keep a coyote/dog out of it? Can anything get through the spaces between the wires? Can anything dig under it? Can anything climb over it (Is the top fenced)? If there are doors, are there latches that an animal can't open? I hope this helps. I've never bought a coop, I've always built my own and I am sure to ask myself these questions as I build.
See you around the forums! :)
Thanks for the advice! The hard part will be remembering all the numerous predators I have to watch out for. I know I'll need clever latches because we have raccoons and I know they can open almost anything. Thankfully the people who design the coops we are looking at are chicken people, too, and so will have the proper perspective to help us choose an appropriate coop. So many out there selling coops aren't actually chicken people, I have found.

I added pics as attachments. I'm not sure if I did this right. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Awe! They are adorable! :D The reason I mentioned so many situations is because a lot of coops that I've seen that are commercially built are pretty but aren't as secure as I'd like. I am glad that you are getting one done by people who actually know what they're doing! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts