Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I liked the 5 gal bucket with 4 bird nipple dripper thingy's. But I didn't want to just hang it. So I took some 3/4" plywood and built a box to hang on wall. I put a slanted cover but it wasn't slanted enough. :confused: Chicken's took right to it. They are very curious animals for sure. I will be making a couple more. 25 nipples on Amazon for $18. Not bad!

Attachments

·
172 Posts
Nice build. Why don't you like to hang your bucket. I like it because I can raise and lower it as needed. Today I lowered it for day old chicks. Have to agree through, the chicken nipples work great.

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like to be able to just raise wood lid move bucket lid and fill up. Hanging by handle with bucket full is hard on handle and pulls bucket top out of round.

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OH yea and I have 21 more nipples so will be making more and be able to accommodate little peeps to. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, Nice rack for your water bucket. I'd considered that arrangement, too but decided to hang mine. The birds haven't tried sitting on top maybe because the handle is in the way. I've been using the nipples for about 2 years with great success. The only time there's any problem is when the temps get down into the 20s, then they'll freeze. In our area it almost always warms up during the day to let them thaw, but in the morning I just set out a std waterer. Very easy for me. Originally I had the nipples mounted in PVC pipe, but I like them on the base of the bucket better, it's easier to clean. The nipples I have are the screw in type, I understand there's a push-in style now. It sounds easier. Which did you use? So I also added and O-ring on each one to make a good seal and avoid dripping. When the O-rings have frozen and thawed several times they deteriorate and start to drip. But it's very easy to replace them. Love the water nipples!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Our hens were using an old fashioned waterer when we adopted them and I got them to use a large rabbit water bottle until our chicken nipple waterers came from China. We got them yesterday and everyone switched over with little issue. I just had to get my top two dominant hens interested in the new five gallon bucket system and the rest fell right into line. Gotta love a curious chicken!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts