Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Just have two Orpingtons. One black one white. Have two chicks hatched under the white one as someone gave me some fertile eggs. All going well with them but my black adult hen has fallen sick. She's unsteady on her feet and very very sleepy today. When she remembers she
drinks a lot. She looks ok. Eyes are bright and combs red but very wobbly and tired. I think she's 2 or 3 years old. She had a phase of this 2 weeks ago but recovered. Given her a tiny bit of aspirin in her water but she's not put herself to bed so I'm leaving her resting on the floor of the run as its a warm evening. Anyone any ideas about what may be wrong with her. She's part isolated from the new mum and chicks but not totally. She was eating their chick crumbs. Hope someone has time to give me an opinion. How long do Orps live? Could she just be naturally on her way out?

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
hello and welcome from wales. sorry i cant help as i have never had and orps. but im sure someone will answer your question soon

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hello and welcome. She is still young for an Orpington. Can you post a pic of her? How are her poops, eating habits, etc.? You can give her electrolyte stuff meant for chicks that are not doing well. Not sure if you have that available in your area or not. Stuff I tend to use is called save-a-chick. Its powder packet stuff you mix into water. Even pedialyte for children would be good for her.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Hello and Welcome. I would report your questions under health and wellness, not everyone read the intros. Maybe someone will know whats going on .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all. Yes I'm sure I should have posted it somewhere else but I'm a bit new to this!
FYI she is no better but it's bizarre as she just sits well down like she's broody and sleeps but if you put water near her she drinks a lot and I've just given her sweet corn from a tin and she ate well. But doesn't want to move. If she moves she waddles and overbalances. Shes very unhappy looking. But it's not just balance issues as she occasionally is squirting out watery egg white type poo in small amounts.
Like she's egg bound but she hasn't laid since last year. I'll repost the problem elsewhere on this site but thank you all for making me feel welcome.
Jude.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts