Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recieved 3 turkey poults who are now 4 days old. 1 died this morning from what I assume is the "Flip Over Syndrome". The other two look just fine. I still dont know what breed they are but they are either Tarrgansett or Bronze Brested. I use could all the tips I can get, Turkeys are foriegn ground to me.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They'r two weeks old now and still doing good. Seriously though, I have no idea what I was thinking getting these lol. I now have to build yet another pen and coop lol.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Join the club! We are getting a small flock (1 tom and 2-3 hens) of a heritage breed this year.

Have raised BB Whites in the past, just looking to go with a self-sustaing flock (and help defray the cost of feed a bit, if possible).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Riverdale said:
Join the club! We are getting a small flock (1 tom and 2-3 hens) of a heritage breed this year.

Have raised BB Whites in the past, just looking to go with a self-sustaing flock (and help defray the cost of feed a bit, if possible).
I bought a bb white last year and it got so large it couldn't walk and then I think it's heart just have out. It was a great pet. This year the guy at the feed store give me another one that had been picked on and wasn't making it. I nursed it back to health but am worried it will just get big and die. The feed store manager told me they were bred to gain maximum weight and not to live long lives. Any suggestions on how to prevent such massive weight gain?

·
Junior Memberish
25 Posts
The bb's are bred to grow quickly.They are what you find in the stores for Thanksgiving. If you want a turkey to have around, then you should get a heritage breed.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
You will be fine and I'm sure you will love them on the homestead. Our tom would get into a "calling contest" with the wild turkeys across the river. (It was rather funny to listen to) :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have 15 poults coming the end of next month. I am nervous and excited. I have had chickens a few years but turkeys are a lot different. 5 bourbon red and 10 crossbreeds from Porters.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
The only thing I've ever done different with my Poult was to add a marble or two to the water dish. It was to help them find the water. (Ol Timers you got to love them)

But dipping their becks does the same thing ... but I still add the marbles. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I have read and read and read tips on raising poults. For those of you with experience what age should I wait for to put them outside on the ground ? I have a small coop I planned to use for them, but the pen has been used previously for naughty rooster and drakes. Do I need to dig out the dirt in the pen ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts