Chicken Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! We just got a new girl in last night. She's very large and seems to be doing a lot of open mouthed breathing. While sleeping her mouth is closed and breathing seems normal. She has access to water and a fan running during the day.

Any ideas? I don't know her age or any more back ground info than before I got her she was kept alone mostly tied to a fence and fed a diet of human scaps

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I've known my new addition chickens to do that pant breathing when they're scared/anxious for the first bit. Once they realized they were in a safe place, that stopped. Probably the same for your new friend. Sounds like she had quite a rotten life until you took her in. Poor girl. Glad she is in a good place now. :)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I would definitely get some good feed in her, fresh water, and give her comfortable conditions. She is most likely stressed and just needs time to adjust. Watch for sneezing, runny nose, poop conditions, ect to make sure she isn't sick. Can you post a pic, maybe we can help identify her age, breed, ect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts