Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have two chickens (had more but things happen) one silky and one which i belive to be a silkie cross?

The silke cross has been broody for a good while now, so i bought some fertilized eggs for her to sit on (japanese black bantams) and she has been sat on them happily for a little over a week now, but this morning it appears that my silkie has gone broody also, my question is sould i split the eggs between them, or will they sort this out them selves, or get jealous and fight?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I'll let one of the experts who have done this answer. I'm not sure what would be best so I am curious too what is suggested.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I'm no expert but I personally would not move or mess with the eggs under the original hen. I would just let nature do its thing and and not risk killing the eggs. If they other one is broody you can either get her eggs of her own or break her brood.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
They may share the eggs now, but they may fight over the peeps and even kill the others peeps. I can't say with silkies, I have never had one, but I had the broody disease go through one year and I had broody hens coming out of my ears!! They were Astralorps, RIR and one Delaware.

I would divide up the eggs unless you can source some more and then have the hens in their own separate pens. If you don't separate them they may switch back and forth or one hen will try to take over the others' nest etc. Especially keep them separate when they have peeps and they are super protective.

Good Luck, that was a tough year, and if you have any more, get ready, broody usually spreads!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts