New to the forum!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DanaCheyenne, Aug 8, 2012.

1. DanaCheyenne

DanaCheyenne Junior Member

Hey guys my name is Dana and im from the Western Ny area. I raise birds for eggs, meat and some for showing with the county 4-H program. I've been showing for 9 years goin on 10, so if you have any questions on showing or poultry showmanship i would be more then happy to help you out! Ive also just started in with Pheasent Rearing.

2. ricepaddydaddy

ricepaddydaddy New Member

Welcome from North Florida

3. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Hi and Welcome. My daughter is changing here 4H project from Dairy Goats to Poultry come September. Next year will be her first year showing. What breed would you say is besat to start with? Does it matter if the breed is rare versus common?

4. DanaCheyenne

You could start with any breed you wish! I would suggest though for showmanship to have a bantam chicken which is smaller and easier to handle. Ive found that alot of the more common breeds of poultry win the shows. I personally raise the more exotic breeds like the white phoenix bantam, and i enjoy using the phoenix bantams in showmanship because they are friendly, small, easy to train/handle and they get the judges attention. I would also suggest you purchase an "American Satndard of Perfection" book which will give you all of the basics and bird qualifications you need. (the judges go by this book!) Good luck!

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Welcome. I'm in NJ but I often drive my don up to college in Ithaca. Maybe I can get chicks from you when I'm ready to go with my coop.

6. DanaCheyenne

Don't have any chicks at the moment, but would love to sell some white phoenix bantams when i get my next hatch!