Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from north Florida. I am new to the forum and fairly new to chickens. I helped my Grandma with hers when I was a kid, but didn't ask enough questions. Fortunately the internet seems to have a lot of answers to the questions I should have asked my grandma.

We set out to purchase 12 chickens and 1 rooster back in February. We went to a local breeder who sold all the breeds we wanted. Because he only took cash and didn't have change for twenties he gave us our change in chicks. We ended up with 16 chicks. We were still only supposed to have one rooster. Now that they are nearing maturity it looks like we have at least 4 and possibly 5 roosters. Our breeds are barred rocks, americaunus, rhode islands, buff orpingtons, golden comets and marans. So far my favorites are the barred rocks, followed by the comets and the reds. I have built a coop which I will post pics of later in the coop section.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Welcome from Tucson! The land of death heat, snakes, and more heat!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome! What a nice selection of chickens you have! Sorry to hear you might have 4 or 5 roosters though. That's the part of chicks I don't like.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The guy we bought the chicks from supposedly had sexed the chicks, but after doing some reading I discovered that even if you are really good at sexing chicks you will only be about 90% accurate. That's ok, the ones I don't like will end up in chicken pot pie or chicken n dumplings. Roosters make fine chicken salad too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts