Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved to my new homestead and one of the first critters I intend to get will be chickens. I ordered day old chicks from McMurray which should be here around the first part of May. Following that with rabbits and, in the spring, a couple of milk goats.

Chickens really are not new to me as we had them the whole time I was growing up on a dairy farm in Michigan. But, when I left the farm to go into the Army I promised myself I would never get back into farming. However, I do not consider myself a farmer now, merely a self sustaining homesteader!

Anyway, I joined this site a few weeks ago and recently received an e-mail telling me I had not visit for awhile and to please do so.....so here it is! LOL

I am excited about my new homestead - I have 16 secluded acres with a 4 bedroom house sitting on a full basement. There is also a good sized barn on the place which I am re utilizing the existing stalls. Two will be turned into a chicken coop, two into rabbit area, one into a work/assembly area in which I will use for assembling bee hives (I already have 3), rabbit cages, etc, there is one additional stall which I have not decided a use for yet. But there is also a tool storage room and a small room which I intend to turn into an office.

But, anyway, as I said before I am excited about the place and am happy to share my excitement and developments.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Hello and Welcome. :) Someday I will get a couple dairy goats. I built the pen then one thing after another stopped me from getting them. Oh well, at least the pen is ready lol. I also have my flock for the sustainability of them. No rabbits though, my oldest daughter is allergic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys, for the welcome. First, I decided to go with the Dominique's for several reasons. But the main reason being that I was hoping to go with a chicken that still had the broody factor bred ins as I wanted a chicken that I could reproduce my own flock rather than having to buy new chicks from the hatchery every few years or invest in an incubator.

I have been an organic gardener for the vast majority of my adult life and do a lot of home canning. I have often dreamed of having critters but for one reason or another that dream never materialized. But, now. with 16 acres I should be able to have all the critters I have dreamed of.

About 30 years ago I did have rabbits for a couple of years but due to my work and having to move around a lot was forced to sell them off along with a few bee hives I had acquired.

I am really looking forward to this next adventure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow, 16 acres I'm jealous! Have fun! I run my little homestead on a 1/4 acre with a wonderful home and 1600 sq ft garden. I love canning and I too am embarking on the chicken dream! Keep us posted on everything! The more the merrier!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, currently in North Carolina. Tho at one time, many years ago, I lived in Chuiak (?) Alaska!! (For that Eagle River fan up there!!) I lived there for the Good Friday Earthquake if you remember your history!

When I get things up and running and the initial work completed I will post photos. When I first moved in there was a lot of cleaning up (I hired a local teenage to pick up trash in the year and surrounding fields which took him all day!) But the place is looking good now. Got the barn cleaned out and starting the enclosures for the chickens and rabbits. The next 30 days gonna see some major renovations around here - tho I have yet to do any organizing in the house. Boxes stacked everywhere - but the critters come first.

When all completed if anyone would like to stop by you would be more than welcome.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm jealous of the bee hives. I've always thought bee keeping would be great but my wife is scared to death of any bees. She would freak out if I brought them here. I used to work with an old man who was pretty much self sustained. He grew a 2 acre garden and canned every year, raised bees and made honey, hunted and filled the freezer with meat every season and even grew his own mushrooms. He flipped out when I told him what my family spends at the store on food. His wife and her 4 sisters still slaughter hogs every year and make their own scraple and lard for cooking. Man I miss his honey every September.

Oh and I forgot about her homemade apple butter!!! Man this post has got me hungry.

·
Registered
839 Posts
woodsstalker said:
First, currently in North Carolina. Tho at one time, many years ago, I lived in Chuiak (?) Alaska!! (For that Eagle River fan up there!!) I lived there for the Good Friday Earthquake if you remember your history!

When I get things up and running and the initial work completed I will post photos. When I first moved in there was a lot of cleaning up (I hired a local teenage to pick up trash in the year and surrounding fields which took him all day!) But the place is looking good now. Got the barn cleaned out and starting the enclosures for the chickens and rabbits. The next 30 days gonna see some major renovations around here - tho I have yet to do any organizing in the house. Boxes stacked everywhere - but the critters come first.

When all completed if anyone would like to stop by you would be more than welcome.
Chugiak? Right next door :)

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Welcome to the ChickenForum! I too am in the great Tarheel state. Randolph county to be exact.
Hang around here awhile, the folks are just great!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's my goal mphg4th. Getting closer every month. I have been an organic gardener for well over 30 years. Taught myself how to home cane along the way.

Yep, Kah -- passed thru Eagle River on the way to work in the morn and again at night on way home. Indescribably beautiful scenery! The Chugiak Mountains - beautiful. I worked at the First National Bank of Anchorage at 4th and G Street. My wife worked at the Matnuska (?) Bank.

Provided I did everything right and the photos download - the rabbit area, I have just completed the stud walls but have not yet installed the sheeting. I have some metal roofing sheets laying around which I will be putting up for the sheeting because they are durable, easy to clean and strange critters will not be able to gnaw through them.The chicken area has just been cleaned out and I have not started the walls yet. My house sits way back off the road on top of a hill. The barn is about 50 ft wide and 80 ft. long.
http://www.chickenforum.com/members/mpgo4th

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yipes!! I did something right!! Ok, the photo above shows two of the three bee hives.

The chicken area will also have the metal roofing sheets. When finished there will be a platform to enable the chickens to get to the top of the block where there will be a small door allowing them access to the outside fenced in yard. After they get acclimated to the area and know where home is at night I will start leaving a gate open in the mornings to allow them to roam freely.

A plumber will be in next week to run some water lines to frost free yard hydrants at both goat pastures, both garden areas and one in the barn.

The barn already has two 30 amp breakers providing elect. from the house.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do we have any other members on this forum from Stanley County, or the surrounding counties of Randolph, Rowan, Montgomery or Anson?? Just curious.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's curious seeing as how there are so many people in the area that have chickens.
Do you keep any critters other than chickens?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What? Kids or schnauzers? LOL

I have 3 bee hives; my chicks will be here next week. The rabbits in a couple of weeks. This winter I plan to fence in some pasturage for a couple of dairy goats. Other than that, 2 large garden areas.

Just recently got this place on which I hope to continue my pursuit of a self sustaining homestead.

·
19 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Inlaws live in Hampstead, on the coast, so we make a trip to NC once a year or more. Maybe one of these days we will find a spot there to retire to :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts