Chicken Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are presently raising silkies and decided to incubate. We are at day 21 and I didn’t notice that the humidity had to be raised. I know it was doing well at day 16. But it isn’t hatching. Could the humidity at 50% have killed the chickens?

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
I doubt it highly. Have you candled at all during incubation?

If you don't have high quality instruments to read temps and humidity it can throw hatching times off.

I would candle, if you haven't, look for any trouble and discard those eggs that don't show development or show early death.

·
Registered
346 Posts
We are presently raising silkies and decided to incubate. We are at day 21 and I didn’t notice that the humidity had to be raised. I know it was doing well at day 16. But it isn’t hatching. Could the humidity at 50% have killed the chickens?
Qu
I doubt it highly. Have you candled at all during incubation?

If you don't have high quality instruments to read temps and humidity it can throw hatching times off.

I would candle, if you haven't, look for any trouble and discard those eggs that don't show development or show early death.
Yeah but i would lissen to the egg after you candle if there is alive ones to see if you can hear them. But humidity can do that. So maybe try to increase it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Qu

Yeah but i would lissen to the egg after you candle if there is alive ones to see if you can hear them. But humidity can do that. So maybe try to increase it.
We only are incubating one. It was a test run. And we candled it at day 16 and both of us saw it move. After everything I have read we should have turned the humidity up and we didn’t know that. I just did now but it’s day 21 and they say don’t candle after day 17

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
You're fine. They say don't do a lot of things that really don't affect things. Give it until day 23 before really getting concerned. If your thermo is off a degree or two it will slow the hatch down.

You are going to be sorry just incubating one. What are you going to do with a single? They hate being alone and will cry non stop unless someone is holding it.

SmallFry had a good suggestion. Holding the egg to your ear you should be able to hear peep moving around in there if it's getting ready to bust out. Sometimes you can hear them peeping before the externally pip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're fine. They say don't do a lot of things that really don't affect things. Give it until day 23 before really getting concerned. If your thermo is off a degree or two it will slow the hatch down.

You are going to be sorry just incubating one. What are you going to do with a single? They hate being alone and will cry non stop unless someone is holding it.

SmallFry had a good suggestion. Holding the egg to your ear you should be able to hear peep moving around in there if it's getting ready to bust out. Sometimes you can hear them peeping before the externally pip.
We initially had 2 bantams and the one Silkie egg the bantams didn’t show any sign up to day 16. The Silkie was the only one that grew. And my wife plans to make it a house chicken lol so if it pulls through it will get plenty of attention.

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
No, it won't. The amount of time you'd have it out won't change the temp or humidity of the egg.

Glad to know peep will get a lot of personal attention. Bedtime could be a challenge though. I've had singles happen a time or two and it was miserable. Until I discovered I had a couple of females in the coop that were awesome foster mommas.

·
Registered
346 Posts
No, it won't. The amount of time you'd have it out won't change the temp or humidity of the egg.

Glad to know peep will get a lot of personal attention. Bedtime could be a challenge though. I've had singles happen a time or two and it was miserable. Until I discovered I had a couple of females in the coop that were awesome foster mommas.
Yeah that's great. But i know the pain of 1 chick. Small fri hatched a week before his siblings. So for that week i was sick so i just sat in my bed or the couch with a chick in my shirt. I brooded my small roo and 3 small hens. It was cute as all get out though.

Reactions: Poultry Judge
1 - 10 of 10 Posts