Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking in a 1 1/2 yr. old banty hen that will be here very shortly (in less than an hour). She's been a loner for a few months at my cousin's. The rest of the crew was killed by a fox. I have no experience in banty's. My girls she is going to be joining are all big girls: 2 RIR, 3 Barred Rock, 1 Australorp, 1 Astralorp/Leghorn mix. Is there anything different with this breed that I need to be aware of?

I will keep her inside with me tonight in a big bin. I want to be with her at any time she is going to be near the others. I'd like her to be able to explore her new surroundings under supervision which I'll have more time for her to do tomorrow afternoon.

Any advice is so welcome. Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Good luck! I hope you both have a smooth and easy transition.

"You are never more powerful than in this moment!" Buddha

·
Registered
387 Posts
I don't do anything different with my bantam. She sleeps eats and runs with the big girls. All of my girls are big hens except her and some 2 month old babies. But it may be better if you can to let her free range with your big girls before throwing her in with them.

·
148 Posts
I have 2 polish bantams who are the most sweetest in nature, so easy going, They are bothis in with my chickens which are Isa Browns, RI reds, Australorps and leg horns, they all get along great.... I must admit they are like little ninjas who wont take no crap from my RI red rooster... they put him right in his place, funny to watch considering he is twice their size.....

·
148 Posts
I did place my polish bantams in a run just for themselves where they could see the other birds for about two weeks before I put them in with the rest of my chickens, there was a bit of pecking order going on for awhile but they all sorted it out...

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She's here. I have her in the coop exploring by herself. I'll bring her inside and let her explore the run tomorrow afternoon. Hubby brought my docile Astralorp in to meet her. Lilah looked down on her with an expression that said it all. She got a little bossy and this little squirt went well like you said tigereyesblue - like a little ninja. Lilah was so bewildered she flew up beside me and stared at her. I brought Lilah back out. I have a few perches made inside the run that I'm thinking she's going to have no problem finding. She's so observant. Watching her take everything in with her eyes wide. She's adorable! So dinky looking compared to my other girls. I always take it slow with the introducing but am hoping that being we are into cold weather now, it won't take more than a week for them to settle in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
She is fabulous. Look at that expression! What a pip! You're going to have fun with her. Aaaaahhhhhhhhh! Now I want one of those!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She's a little spit fire! Did let me hold her for a bit. Coo'd and coo'd. She's been handled a lot by 2 young girls 8 & 10 so I think as far as handling, she'll settle right in. I just can't get over how tiny she is! Those itty bitty feathers! All her detailed markings too. Had no idea what I was getting other than she was a banty and that was about 2 hours before she got here. Knew her birth month too, that's all the info I had. Feel bad that the girls had to find her a home but I'm glad she's here with me. I'll spoil her rotten for them and send them up-dates. Glad Brianna asked me if I could take her chicken - bless her heart. (she's 10) I'm honored to have her little hen.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
A very nice looking Sebright! Congrats ...

My son loves them and they are rather happy with the big girls.

Best of luck with her.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The stand off ...

What a spirit this girl has! Chloe (the RIR in picture) sure studied her then walked off. Abbie (RIR), however, thought she'd be a sass. This girl put Abbie in her place in seconds! It was so funny to see this big chicken running away! (especially since its usually Abbie raising cain) Didn't have the camera ready for that one. I haven't let banty out at night with the big girls yet. Just letting her get adjusted to her surroundings for now and meet the others as they happen along. Still bringing her in at night with me. Really glad I got to have her. I'm having a ball with her!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts