New to incubating

Discussion in 'Incubation & Hatching' started by Jim, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

Working on building the incubator now. I am lucky to have met someone that I had bought some chicks from in the summer that built her own bator. Today, I picked up and ordered all my parts, the main part was a book case with doors, solid oak, picked up from good will for 30 bucks. The journey begins. Pics to follow. Any advice?

2. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

jhabaa1...I've been checking out all I can on incubating and broody hens. Come this Spring I'd like to give one or the other a try. Sure would like to hear more about your experience...and pics! Jen:)

3. Jim

Jim New Member

Will do. Got most the incubator finished today. The egg turner, heating element, and thermostat should arrive in the mail, we'd or thurs. I will post a pic once I have it all together, unless I burn it down when I plug it in....

4. Jim

Jim New Member

I got the incubator finished today. It is running and waiting to make sure temp and humidity level out. Picked up some eggs from a breeder down the way today, 4 of each, RIR, Barred Rock, and Americauna. To toss in with it, I have from my flock, a few Serama eggs, and a few buff orps. I plan to set them on Sunday morning. I am getting so excited.

5. Jim

Jim New Member

A pic of the finished product.

Attached Files:

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Very nice indeed!

7. Cescacharl

Cescacharl Member

Wow very impressive!

8. PouletdePouf

PouletdePouf Hangin' with my Peeps

Very nice! Please post a follow-up.

9. cannedman

cannedman Junior Member

I like it. Very Nice.:)

10. Jim

Jim New Member

Eggs all set. Due to hatch 2/15 hatch. Eggs purchased as fertile, 4-RIR, 4 Americana, 4 Barred Rock. Eggs from mine that I hope to be fertile, although they have just stated laying... but, 5 Serama and 2 Buff Orp. Those are the ones I be surprised if I get hatched.

Attached Files:

11. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Oooh! And the excitement/waiting begins. Please keep us posted.

12. Jim

Jim New Member

Just heard from a lady that had olive eggers. She had to leave town. Her friend watching her chicks, well, let all the Roos out. So. She offered to give me a doz eggs not knowing of they will be olive or others. I say, why not. So, get them tomorrow after noon to add to this test run. If they alll hatch, hope the extras sell fast!

13. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Good luck! Valentines babies!

14. Jim

Jim New Member

Got the new eggs in, so, they are about 24 hrs apart. Now, have 18 more eggs in there, hopefully some olive eggers will be produced, time will tell. Worse case, I will have some meat...

Attached Files:

15. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Can not wait to see the variety of little puffballs!

16. Jim

Jim New Member

Day 10

This is day 10 of the fist run. Maybe my "candle" isnt that great, not sure. Tell me, fertile or not? Most look like a blob, no veins, but, could be the light or the iphone pics.

Remember, this is a sample of the mix, RIR, Serama, Americana, Barred Rock, and Barnyard mix

Attached Files:

17. eqstrnathlete

eqstrnathlete Member

#2 and #4 are a definite no, they are clear. 1,3,and 5 look like a maybe. The porous ones are hard to tell. I find they usually don't do anything.

18. Jim

Jim New Member

Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking the same. They are from hens/Roos that had just started to lay.

19. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Day 10 you should definitely be able to see something. So the clear ones are most likely not fertile or not developing.