Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is day 6. I can see veins in several but not sure if the ring'ed ones are okay?
Any comments/ help is appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My guess is the ringed ones are duds but I am far from experienced in this matter. Personally I leave all the eggs in the incubator, even the ones I think are duds, just in case my judgement is off. There's no harm done in doing that... after 23 days if nothing happens they go into the waste bin.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hello & welcome aboard. I'm no help with your questions unfortunately. I've never incubated before. Just wanted to pop in and say hi though. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow the pics were great. How do you check fertility on a dark shelled egg? My Welsummers are very deep brown eggs.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Red rings are duds. That means the embryo started to develop then died. The ring is formed when all the blood is drawn out to the edge because of the death.

·
Junior Memberish
25 Posts
19 hatched last night! So excited! Our first time.22 eggs to go.several are working on it !

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Looks like you have a couple non fertile eggs. But I would wait until day 10 just to be on the safe side. Also I'm curious, why are you wearing rubber gloves?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Apyl said:
Looks like you have a couple non fertile eggs. But I would wait until day 10 just to be on the safe side. Also I'm curious, why are you wearing rubber gloves?
I have read about using gloves because of need to keep eggs sterile, I don't use them myself, soap/water, hand sanitizer. And, I only candle a few way into it just to see if at least one has made it, then close the bator back up. Although, not sure i have to do it all that fast. This spring, I watched a broody hen hatch 5 of 5, and she left the nest once a day for 30 min to an hr each day, some of those days were in the 40's. still 100 percent hatch. Of course, that could be the diff of nature vs machine.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts