NEW TO DUCKS--AGAIN

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by danathome, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

I hear you Dan, it seems as though I always have cross imprinting going on somewhere. I think it's why my Peafowl are so neurotic.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

What's the status on these eggs? Are they from a more mature hen?

3. danathome

danathome Active Member

I only have the one duck hen; and 4 drakes. It's why I am anxious to hatch the eggs I am getting. One is due to hatch...now and tomorrow. Six more in two weeks and a couple eggs that I haven't set yet; waiting for a third egg to be laid. I wish I did have a more mature hen. I haven't been able to find anyone in this area with Call Ducks.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  4. robin416

I guess I lost track on what you had, I remember you telling us that now.

It sounds like you just might get something out of these eggs. You know we're pulling for a good hatch.

5. danathome

danathome Active Member

Thanks. I'm not sure the lady I bought my original eggs meant the whole 1st clutch is likely to DIS or the first few eggs. The second six are all hanging in there; so far.

PJ-What is dominant, the turkeys or the peafowl that you have? The peafowl, at the moment are locked in the turkey shed, minus the turkeys. My worry is that the two species will fight and the peafowl make a break for it to the way beyond. I can't give chase so if that were to happen my peafowl are gone and history.

6. Poultry Judge

Yes absolutely!

7. danathome

danathome Active Member

I got the chance to look and do a quick candling this morning when I saw the hen off the nest. The duck egg had just started to internally pip. If the duckling makes it, it will likely hatch tomorrow afternoon or evening. Sooner would be nice; just as long as it hatches!

8. danathome

danathome Active Member

Turkeys appear dominant over the peafowl. I was checking a while ago and the gray turkey was trying to get the peas in a chase me game-a good sign that the peafowl will be accepted. Of course the peafowl did not understand the turkey's intentions, but I did.

9. robin416

Well, I just learned something new. Turkeys have their own form of the Chase. I don't know if they get as stubborn about the Guineas keeping it going for what feels like forever but it is fascinating to watch.

10. danathome

danathome Active Member

The turkeys do not chase for long and the game ends. It is hilarious to see the birds act so silly. It would be nice if they played on command so I could make a video. It seems, that the minute they see me they have only one thing on their minds; FOOD/TREATS!

11. robin416

LOL At least my Guineas are not so food driven that seeing me would interrupt a good game of chase.

12. Poultry Judge

Good luck Dan!

13. Poultry Judge

Mine are all about the food!

14. Poultry Judge

Yes, that is the way mine are.

15. robin416

I think it's harder on us on the other side of the screen than the one hovering over the egg in question. ;)

16. danathome

danathome Active Member

17. robin416

18. danathome

danathome Active Member

Disappointing. I could have used a good smile today.