Chicken Forum banner

361 - 380 of 387 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
Baby and I have come to an understanding about bedtime. He didn't like it when I'd fool him to go in the small bird pen for the night. So now I get everyone all taken care of, even give him his treats outside, do this that and the other thing. Draw a temp fence across one half of the Guinea pen, go around back of the pen and slowly walk Baby in the big bird pen.

Knock on wood, so far we're working as a team.
Sounds like progress!

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
I have to get some guineas; they sound like a riot to watch. Robin-would a pair of free range with their own coop work well or do you believe they have to be in "packs". Perhaps if I encourage the rats Kimmi will encourage the guineas... While I had guineas as a teenager that was a loooonnnnngggggg time ago and, they too, are not remembered well. My one clear memory was of a yellow guinea chick that hatched and my mother insisted it was a cross between guineas and chickens (is that even possible?). The chick did not live long.

I had to band Cher as it has become impossible to tell her from some of the youngsters.

A cool story (to me anyway). I put my young ducks on craigslist to sell some of them. Yesterday, a Memphis man asked for more pictures... and then he wanted pictures of Sonny and Cher saying he wanted to determine if the were full call duck or crossbreeds. I figured he would tell me how bad they were and suggest a lower price (I was only asking $10 each). Again he e-mailed asking us to call him as he could not get through to us. We did. He said he was over two hours away and could not come. He then went on to say the ducks were not only pure calls but that they were of high quality. He suggested I raise the price on the "several good ones" or, not sell them at all as they were ideal breeding stock. He explained to me how to pick the several good birds and wanted to know if I'd be willing to trade stock in the spring.
I'm thrilled that someone thinks I have quality birds and did not do as I assumed; talk the birds down to get a better deal.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Two just isn't workable. Attrition is high with them when they free range. And they are awful to chickens when the flock isn't at least ten. They'd even take on the turkeys to spar with during breeding season and the Fall season.

Yes, it is. And those that don't die after first hatching live a little longer with no quality of life. There are some pics on the net and they are pitiful looking creatures.

Now that guy is someone you want in your corner. Those with high quality birds are so seldom willing to share their knowledge or suggest trading stock. Hang on to his number, don't lose it. And congrats on having so much more than you thought.

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
Two just isn't workable. Attrition is high with them when they free range. And they are awful to chickens when the flock isn't at least ten. They'd even take on the turkeys to spar with during breeding season and the Fall season.

Yes, it is. And those that don't die after first hatching live a little longer with no quality of life. There are some pics on the net and they are pitiful looking creatures.

Now that guy is someone you want in your corner. Those with high quality birds are so seldom willing to share their knowledge or suggest trading stock. Hang on to his number, don't lose it. And congrats on having so much more than you thought.
For sure!

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
"robin416, post: 192694, member: 6488"]Two just isn't workable. Attrition is high with them when they free range. And they are awful to chickens when the flock isn't at least ten. They'd even take on the turkeys to spar with during breeding season and the Fall season.
Then I'll have to give up the idea.

He seemed like a good person to know on the phone and quite knowledgeable about call ducks. It is nice to know that my calls are worth having as far as selling goes.

The young hens are sounding off; the same loud heh-heh-heh-heh like Cher but no quacking.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
When I first got them I only had three. It was not a fun time. Ten worked well but when I hit 25 things were so much better. Doesn't sound right, does it? But it's who they are.

That is more positive than not having enough females for the number of males you had.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
They really need a large pond and some territory to thrive, lots of built in wildness there with certain breeds.
It would be nice to find someone with a backhoe to dig out our woodlot pond of all the trash and garbage the previous owners filled it with.

When I'm able to use my arm again I need to catch the young ducks to ascertain the male/female ratio. Can't tell just by looking; at least not until the drakes get their adult plumage.

The calls don't show any wildness-very docile and trusting even when not handled.
The breed seems completely domesticated. The turkeys and peafowl show a lot more wild traits; especially the peafowl.

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
It would be nice to find someone with a backhoe to dig out our woodlot pond of all the trash and garbage the previous owners filled it with.

When I'm able to use my arm again I need to catch the young ducks to ascertain the male/female ratio. Can't tell just by looking; at least not until the drakes get their adult plumage.

The calls don't show any wildness-very docile and trusting even when not handled.
The breed seems completely domesticated. The turkeys and peafowl show a lot more wild traits; especially the peafowl.
Wild Turkey Raptors and Feral Peafowl!

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Please you all, keep them up there.

I don't remember how I found some of the people I did that had heavy equipment. One was a neighbor, lucky me.

The feed store could be a start. Especially if you're using a mom & pop store. Or the hardware store.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
The cost is too much, whatever it be. There's repairs to the home that need to be done first. For now the ducks will have to be content with their kiddie pool.

361 - 380 of 387 Posts