Chicken Forum banner

341 - 360 of 387 Posts

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
I've been watching to see what they're going for but they are so far and few between.
Call ducks especially. That may be a good thing when I want to sell some in the spring. I have only seen one pair of Calls here in TN, at auction and they went for $55.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Well, that's better numbers than you had before you started hatching all the little ones. And with so many pairs very sellable for those you don't want to keep.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
It's rather sill of my; I've enjoyed raising them so much I hate to sell any.

When compared to chickens, call ducks are much easier to raise and eat far less being very good foragers-and so easy to care for. The only thing I, personally, don't care for is they look alike and act alike-no individuality at all. Even the white drakes-bobsy twins.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
That surprises me. I would think they'd have their own personalities just like the chickens. Is it possible they're just too young yet to see the differences in them?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Useful info, people! Lol- seriously, that’s a good thing for any hobbyist (or anybody, really) to know, but especially interesting to those who may consider adding ducks to their flock or farm.
I would’ve expected them to be more similar to the chickens in personality level as well. But I’ve def heard more tales of ‘special’ chickens than ‘special’ ducks. Is that due to the numbers? Who knows! But rly, I’ve heard tales from so many ppl who had their special, or at least favorite, bird that they... oh, like my granddad. I’m gonna tell a story on him. There was a big hen when he was a kid who was mean as a snake except to him. At night when he had to go to the outhouse, he had to pass the coop on the way... so he would collect his big poofy hen and take her with him to the outhouse! Hahaha but rly, I’ve heard many stories along these lines about chickens but not many about ducks. I dunno!

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
I have handled and observed my ducks a lot this spring, summer, fall, and now winter; they are fun and a joy to watch, but personality?-they don't compare to my bantams at all.

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
The ducks can have pretty distinct personalities. Melissa has had about three I can think of that were imprinted on her. But around here, the most distinct personalities are the Peafowl and Wild Turkeys because they are a riot. They get into trouble that chickens and ducks wouldn't even consider.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Baby and I have come to an understanding about bedtime. He didn't like it when I'd fool him to go in the small bird pen for the night. So now I get everyone all taken care of, even give him his treats outside, do this that and the other thing. Draw a temp fence across one half of the Guinea pen, go around back of the pen and slowly walk Baby in the big bird pen.

Knock on wood, so far we're working as a team.

341 - 360 of 387 Posts