new to chickens

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by grimchicken, Nov 28, 2012.

1. grimchicken

grimchicken New Member

I have several questions. First is i have three sexlink hens i got them five days ago. Two days ago we got our first egg the kids were so excited every day there after we got another egg. I believe only the one is laying. Will the other two start laying soon? The temperature is starting to drop it gets around in the 20s at night do they stop laying in the winter also should i give them a heat lamp at night. There not using the nesting boxes. The eggs we have found are in the straw on the bottom of there coop. Is this normal? I put plenty of straw in i don't want them to get cold. Have any advice or tips? We love our chickens and i want to expand but i want to make sure everything I'm doing is right. Thank you

2. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Hello grimchicken and welcome to the forum!!
    If you are getting eggs already, you are very lucky! After a move, it usually takes a couple weeks before they get settled in enough to lay. It may take that long before the others start to lay. I don't know where you are located, so I don't know about the heat lamp. They will keep each other warm, but if it's below freezing for an extended period of time, I would consider the lamp. Also, try to keep the cold air from blowing on them if you can. As the daylight hours shorten, the girls will lay less, and then pick back up in the spring. You can put a light on at night to extend the light so they will lay more, but some of us think it's best just to let their systems rest. Some of us don't, so it's up to you!! Welcome again!!

3. grimchicken

grimchicken New Member

Thank you for the information. I live in Pennsylvania so it does get in the teens to low single digits. I'm picking up four more hens this weekend. I'm hooked. Lol I'm gonna get them a heated waterer i already have the heat lamp but i have to run power to there coop. My coop is five by five how many hens do you think i could have in there. Also i have a silkie hen and rooster the kids love them. I also have a sexlink rooster is there anything i should be on the look out for with the roosters. Don't want them hurting the hens. Right now they all seen to be getting along good. But the little silkie hen seems to stick to her self. I'm feeding them egg layer pellets and i put grit in with it. Is that ok? I also give them scratch feed the kids like to throw it in there run for them. I don't think I'm gonna give them extra light so they lay more in winter. What you said makes sense let them have a break. Thanks again

4. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

I would get the silkie a buddy to hang around with. Silkies stick together. Also, watch to make sure the larger rooster doesn't try to hurt her mating her. I wouldn't get any more roosters yet, your silkie hen will sit on and hatch eggs from any of the hens. You need the room you have! For future planning, you might want to separate the silkies from the others with another coop. Sounds like you have things going on!!! :):)