New to chickens

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by RitaS, Jul 21, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Well, that is just weird. Me replying directly to you made your link show up.

RitaS likes this.
  2. RitaS

RitaS Member

See momma & im no where near them lol

3. robin416

It might be close that she's going to calm down now that babies are gaining more independence.

RitaS likes this.
  4. robin416

Yeah, she will be on guard but it will slowly reduce. Poultry Judge had a good idea about being the giver of treats and making it as personal as possible. You can begin to gain trust.

5. RitaS

RitaS Member

How often for treats ? Ugh I don’t like touching those mealworms lol.

6. robin416

I don't either but we do what we need to do to convince them we're not the enemy or the predator.

A couple times a day would be good. I bought five pounds of mealworms from Chewy. I transfer some of them into a plastic container that holds quite a few. Keets now recognize the sound of the container being shaken and go crazy running to me.

RitaS likes this.
  7. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Active Member

That's too cute!

8. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't use a net in this case, that's really dangerous for everyone involved. The chick will freak out and struggle and Momma will come to it's rescue and go after you, possibly getting hurt herself in the net or whatever when you go to defend yourself, you could lose your balance and step on someone, it's just not a good idea inside a coop.

You can use the mealworms as suggested but it'll take at least a few days to get Momma to trust you, she's the one you have to win over in order to get to the chicks. By the time you win Momma over, whatever is going on with the chicks could be solved on it's own or so bad that you can't do anything about it.

Are they eating, drinking, behaving normally at this point? Are you seeing large amounts of diarrhea in the pen?

Maybe, if you are patient enough, you could lay down on the floor by the pen with your camera ready and toss meal worms in, eventually one of the chicks will investigate and maybe you can snap a quick pic that isn't too fuzzy for us to really see what's happening.

Can you tell if these patches on their chests are bare naked? Like, loss of feathers? Are the feathers just rubbed funny? What (maybe I missed a post earlier, I apologize if I did) makes you think they have an injury to their chests and why would all of them have the same injury? I'm just mystified here.

9. RitaS

RitaS Member

I c
    I can’t tell. I agree they all wouldn’t have same injuries. They act no differently. Eating / drinking as usual. Running around as usual.
    Ok NO net. Can’t risk injury to them. I couldn’t take that myself lol.no diarrhea

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 2:09 PM
  10. RitaS

RitaS Member

The spots seem smaller today ! Yay !
    Could it just be chick fluff fell out to make room for feathers ? Lol
    I went out with dried flies, yuck, I meant to buy mealworms. I put a few thru the holes & chicks came running & momma came over, not too close. Maybe a foot away but I wasn’t inside the run either. Chicks took flies outta her beak so she hesitated then took one that I held thru the holes in chicken wire. She did that a couple times. Hope it’s the beginning of trust lol. Going to try again this evening

Sylie likes this.
  11. robin416

There you go. Doing things like that will earn their trust that you're not a predator. They will get so they recognize your voice and will come running.

12. RitaS

RitaS Member

Warms my heart to hear that. She’s beautiful to me & so are the chicks. Gonna be sad when they move but has to be.

13. robin416

I'm not holding my breath that they're still going to a new home. You could always keep a couple of females and let the others be rehomed.

14. RitaS

RitaS Member

Lol
    I’ll think about doing that. I have an outdoor wood burner & the smoke is pretty bad at times. I would worry that the smoke would be too much for them as I’m sure it would go into the run/coop.
    The chicks have little nubs of combs now, dang they’re so stinkin cute. I saw a couple of them trying to dust bath yesterday lol. That was really cute to see, too. Lol

15. robin416

Things look like they're calming down. Not long ago she'd be coming at you through the wire getting that close.

RitaS likes this.
  16. RitaS

RitaS Member

She’s tryin to dust bathe & chicks are all over her .... one on her back ! Lol

17. RitaS

RitaS Member

70CD6301-4B17-4C8E-8A46-E322AE02226D.jpeg 0BAF8E83-8233-4440-AA7C-FE8CDEF5C6A6.jpeg EA69214F-35B4-471E-AF9D-334F8E75F767.jpeg 97B1B207-BD45-44DE-96F4-B9CC4DFE19A1.jpeg 25CEC06D-9D70-4AA3-B730-866AFA0CC68A.jpeg 2nd treat today was some better. look at that comb ❤️

18. robin416

Gloves? Yeah, the mealworms are nasty but gloves? LOL

Next open the door and sit there giving them the treats.

RitaS likes this.
  19. RitaS

RitaS Member

Lol. Just couldn’t touch those things. Yep! Gloves lol