New to chickens

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by RitaS, Jul 21, 2020.

1. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

I’m leaving the forum. Enjoy life !!

2. HSJ07

HSJ07 Member

3. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Active Member

I hate adulting. I guess I’m not the only one.

CaliDavali likes this.
  4. HSJ07

HSJ07 Member

I need some advice. I have 7 3 week old chickens. They are various breeds. I have a little Welsummer female who isolates herself from the others. She has done this from day one. The Welsummer rooster has tried to befriend her. As of late a little Australorp has tried very hard to befriend her but she always moves to be alone. All the others will eat from my hand and tolerate being petted but not Frances. She will not eat from my hand nor will she eat and drink when the others do. I need advice. I don't know how to help this little girl!

Poultry Judge likes this.
  5. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Watch to see if she's being bullied by someone.

It might work to put her somewhere separate with a buddy or two. Let them create a bond.

6. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

What Robin said, and some yummy treats!

7. HSJ07

HSJ07 Member

I sit with them for hours. The exact opposite. Several have tried to befriend her but she wants nothing to do with them. I had somebody tell me today who has raised many different breeds of chickens that Welsummers only associate with their own breed. Do you find this to be true in your experience? If this is true then that could be the problem.

8. robin416

I noticed in my flocks that same or similar colors would hang together while out and about.

9. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Active Member

We have observed our chickens grouping together by color, like Robin said, but the replies I’ve heard to this before usually say that most chickens can live together just fine. Now- key word is can, of course! Your girl may not have taken a liking to others around her, or maybe she is waiting on somebody who looks like her to hang around with.

But no, it *shouldn’t* matter the breed. As we all know, reality can be different. Another thought I had was this- and it’s a long shot; is there any chance she is separating and segregating herself bc she doesn’t feel healthy for any reason? Or even if not healthy, is there any potential reason she might think she was a threat to the entire flock? I assume the answer here is likely no, but that’s the only real reason I can think of why she might be acting like a snot.

10. Poultry Judge

My experience has always been that in terms of hierarchy, birds will hang out with their own strain first, breeds second and type of bird third. Then it's a tossup as to how well the species interact. In my bunch, the Ducks tend to be dominant but will socialize, (at times), with everyone. The Chickens will socialize, (selectively), with everyone. The Peafowl and Turkeys are friends and will roost together, (curved beak species). When I had the Emu flock, they were separate. They will attempt to eat anything smaller than they are and the dominant females had to be in separate runs or they would harm each other. I never let any bird be totally alone. Currently, I have a Peachick in the brooder which hatched singly and I had to get a Silkie chick for a companion. They get along fabulously. While probably not the ideal match by any means, the Silkie chick was what I could find at the end of the season here in Ohio. From past experience, I am predicting that these two will have somewhat of a lifelong connection as they grow older, even though they are species which typically wouldn't pay much attention to each other..

Overmountain1 likes this.
  11. HSJ07

HSJ07 Member

12. HSJ07

HSJ07 Member

Frances seems to be one of my healthiesT birds. She is becoming more beautiful by the day. She now will eat from my hand and hangs some with the little Welsummer Roster but still wants nothing to do with the others. She has got where she will huddle with them but when she is up and about, she is a loner. As of two days ago, she appears very interested in me. She won't let me touch her yet but likes to check me out and come near me a lot. Maybe she is a little snob. LOL

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  13. Poultry Judge

Sometimes their personalities can change dramatically over time. I have had hens who are the smallest, most bullied and at the end of the pecking chain. But then when they become broody, sometimes they become ferocious and move far up the pecking order.

14. HSJ07

HSJ07 Member

15. HSJ07

HSJ07 Member

The thing with her is nobody bullies her. I have a little Australop who tries repeatedly to befriend her and she ignores her. If she is on her little roost and another gets beside her, she chases them off. I think she is just a loner.

16. HSJ07

HSJ07 Member

17. HSJ07

HSJ07 Member

Today my chicks are 4 weeks old and as of today Frances the Welsummer has become friends with my speckled Sussex and Golden Laced Wyandotte. She still wants nothing to do with the others. My little Australorp wants to be her friend but Frances will not have it. At least she is socializing some now.

Poultry Judge and Overmountain1 like this.
  18. robin416

Just like humans they can form cliques. She's chosen hers for the time being.

19. Poultry Judge

That is good news!

20. Poultry Judge

Some form cliques, some join gangs!

robin416 likes this.