New to chickens

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by RitaS, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

It would be good for what you are doing.

2. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

She hasn’t answered me yet but doesn’t look too good that she’s taking them.

3. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

The one with the pic of 3 rolls?

4. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

I have a mouse. Saw it last night & today running close to the coop. Amazing cause if I had a hoe I would have killed it, before would have let it go.

5. Poultry Judge

Either the ribbon, the wire, or the galvanized wire, all would work.

6. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

Could I use weed control fabric around the kennel to make sure no grass comes in contact with the fence, if I ever get to the point of putting it up ? If I can use it, how does it need to be put around the fiberglass rods ? Can the rods just be pushed through the fabric ?

7. Poultry Judge

Yes, that would work the way way you described it.

RitaS likes this.
  8. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

The boys will be leaving as soon as I figure out how I’m transporting them & what day works for the new owner & myself
    I hate to see them go but think they will be better off free ranging.
    The hens won’t be upset that the boys are gone will they ? I’m not sure how I’m even going to catch 7 boys lol

9. Poultry Judge

Your hens will adjust fine.

RitaS likes this.
  10. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

Woohoo I have a lead on 2x4’s. Neighbor & I were talking & he asked if I wanted him to pick up a couple when he was out next time. I said if you don’t mind that’d be great. Fingers crossed

Poultry Judge likes this.
  11. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

See, things do work out. He knows you're trying to do right by the birds.

RitaS likes this.
  12. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

He found an injured blue bird & took care of it until it could fly then let it go.
    He also sees a single old woman doing the best she can lol.
    He said an owl got some of his grandsons chickens. Now I’m worried.
    Should I take up the hardware cloth I put around the coop ? Will it hurt their feet to leave it ?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  13. Poultry Judge

You should be adequately protected from owls. I have Barred Owls come up to the barn but they don't bother the birds. They are tremendously good at eating snakes and mice in the pastures.

14. Poultry Judge

I would take up that hardware cloth, you will probably need it somewhere else in the future.

RitaS likes this.
  15. Poultry Judge

Your whole setup is small enough that you might be able to move it to fresh grass a couple times a year. If I had a ten by ten fenced setup, I would figure out a way, not now, maybe next year to make it work like a chicken tractor. I know that is not your plan for a number of reasons but the birds and the soil benefit greatly from from a change time to time.

16. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

Well I will be asking for ways to move it lol. I wish I had planned better this time because truck can’t get past the pen to dump firewood for my outdoor burner. That brings up another question.... will the smoke bother the chickens ? Would I need a tarp on that side of the pen to keep it from going directly at them ?

17. Poultry Judge

If you haven't done your perimeter yet, you might want to move it now. It will take a few people to lift one side. I've done it myself but it will be easier with a few people. You know the directions your wood burner smoke goes and where it settles if the air isn't moving. So use that to help you plan the most logical place for your chickens this winter and also have room to get your wood where it needs to go.

18. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

It’s h
    It’s highly unlikely I’m going to get help moving it so maybe next year I can, I don’t know.
    I guess I’ll put a tarp on the side of the kennel facing the wood burner.
    i have 1 side & the short side with the gate left to do a second row on then that’s finally finished. Then to figure out the gate , right now hardware cloth is sticking out over the gaps from each side plus the gate so it’s doubled there.
    I’m a bit worried about putting on the top but guess we will see how that goes.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  19. Poultry Judge

The top won't be too bad as long as you have a step ladder. It can all be a work in progress for this year. Your small flock will bring you a great deal of enjoyment.

20. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

I don’t remember how to do the top. 2x4’s then hardware cloth but run in same direction ? Or across 2x4’s ?