New to chickens

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by RitaS, Jul 21, 2020.

1. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

image.jpg If you remember I put hardware cloth down around the coop. Can I leave that attached to the coop & pull it up & tie it to the pen ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2020
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I wish you had tools or a truck or something.

Yes, the netting is the same one I was talking about. Have fun, it can be aggravating to work with.

That's plywood, I'm not sure how long it's even going to last out in the weather. But it might last long enough until you can solve the problem of getting pt 2x4's.

3. robin416

Won't that leave the bottom open?

4. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

I would look at it as a work in progress this year getting it ready for Winter. If you have an Opossum or something that could potentially dig it's way in, I would still take a shovel or spade and at least make a vertical slit trench you could put some wire into and then wire or zip tie it to your fence. When you get your electric fence up, that will help a lot because it will be such a good deterrent. The varmints do not like getting shocked.

5. robin416

Heck, that's one of the simpler things she could do right now. Once the netting is up overhead that is.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  6. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

I don’t even have the 2nd side done & I been at it , not slacking lol. I don’t have anymore hardware cloth after 1 more roll. Calling it a day
    There isn’t much I can do until I’m off work next Monday except search for h cloth. I have a cheapo drill/screwdriver, a jig saw, & sawzall

Poultry Judge and robin416 like this.
  7. robin416

Yay, you're getting some tools in your life. Trust me, if you live in the country you're going to find a use for them.

We know you're not slacking. We've been there and done what you're doing so we know. And we've got tons more experience but it's still hard and slow.

8. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

I forgot, do I need pressure treated 2x4’s ?

9. robin416

Yes. Otherwise they'll rot out pretty quickly unless you use cedar but they're pricey. And carpenter bees love untreated wood.

10. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

The cloth extends way out past the pen but is still attached to the bottom of the run. I thot I could pull that piece up & wire it to the bottom of the pen. Should I just leave it where it is ?

11. robin416

Maybe disconnect it so you can have it resting on the ground when you install it up the side.

12. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

Is 1/2” x 2’ copper pipe what I want for my fence ?

13. robin416

Not copper. Steel or fiberglass. Look back on this post I posted a pic of one of the steel posts.

14. Poultry Judge

In a pinch you could use the copper pipe for a ground rod. Or see if one of your neighbors has a short scrap piece of rebar, or better yet a solid copper ground rod.

15. Poultry Judge

The simplest path for the fence posts themselves are the fiberglass one with the plastic insulators that were pictured prior.

16. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

I meant for the ground rod , sorry about that. I have fiberglass rods in my car waiting on me to finish the fencing. I did get the yellow insulators too. I think all I need is the wire, 17 gauge steel right ?
    I sure hope that’s easier than the rest has been lol.
    I just saw that possum walking by the house.
    I need time to get this pen all done. How far off the ground does the first wire go ? I want to make sure nothing gets under the fence.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  17. robin416

If you get a small spool of aluminium wire it's easier to work with.

You don't want grass making contact with the wire so it has to be high enough that it clears the grass. I don't have any grass around my pen so mine is about four inches off the ground.

18. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

What gauge aluminum wire again ?
    I can’t believe how hard it is to find aluminum wire around here. I found a hugh roll at TSC but didn’t think I'd need all that but maybe I’ll use it eventually.
    Can I transport all the roos together? It’s an hour away.

19. robin416

Pretty much whatever they have. I think mine is 17g.

It might be more expensive but check an Ace hardware or some smaller type hardware. That's where I got my smaller roll.

Yeah, they should be good. Fingers crossed.

20. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

I
    I’m going to stop at Lowe’s this weekend when I’m on break from work so I’ll see what they have. What’s the smallest gauge that will work just in case I find some ?
    Is this the copper ground rod I need ?

Attached Files: