New to chickens

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by RitaS, Jul 21, 2020.

1. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

There is one more who’s comb is pretty red. Lordy , I was hoping for no roosters ugh.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Talk about a newbie to hatching peeps. Wishful thinking never works with these guys.

But don't feel bad. I had 17 eggs hatch one time, 15 turned out to be males. If you only have two that's nothing to get to upset about.

3. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

Well yeah I’m a newbie lol. This hen found me hehe.
    I don’t want roosters because I don’t want more chicks lol.

Thomas Lippert likes this.
  4. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

I won’t be upset. I’ll just have to get them moved to their new home before more chicks come along

5. robin416

You've got plenty of time. Those little boys won't be mature enough to be thinking about reproduction for a couple of months yet. And you can always remove the eggs. Problem solved.

6. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

Lol. I think ur more determined that I’m keeping the chickens than I am
    Who knows what will happen lol

7. robin416

Nah, this time I was relieving you of your concerns about ending up with more chicks.

RitaS likes this.
  8. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

That one is looking like it could be a roo. Robin is right though, you have plenty of time before you have to worry about chicks. If the time does come that you need to worry about it, all you have to do is collect the eggs every single day, no chicks can be incubated in the refrigerator! lol :)

RitaS likes this.
  9. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

He is 1 of 2 with the brighter red comb. Both have legs that are thicker than the other chicks. They are a little bigger than the others. , too.

10. Sylie

I never go by legs, it's can be misleading, different breeds have different legs, if you are looking at 2 exactly identical chickens (breed, hatchday etc), you might be able to tell the difference but it should never be counted on as a measure of gender. The comb and wattle development, feather development, wing size and position, those are usually a little better indicators although, they can fool you for sure, I always say "it's a roo until it lays an egg"
    roosters, obviously cannot lay eggs but hens CAN crow so you can't even trust crowing to tell you. I have an australorp hen that stopped laying eggs, is growing her comb and wattles out and crows every now and then. Chickens just LOVE to screw with us humans.

RitaS likes this.
  11. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

Thank you for telling me. I did not know hens could crow lol. I’ve learned quite a bit from y’all & appreciate all the help.

12. robin416

You've learned a bunch you won't use since they are not staying with you. Unless you are planning on having some control in the future to what occupies your coop.

RitaS likes this.
  13. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

She took several flies from my hand this morning while keeping as much distance as she could. She allowed the chicks to take from my hand too & they were close enough to touch. A couple ran up & touched my hand & wow they jumped back like they were scared to death.
    What is all the digging? Hen has been doing it for a couple hours now, is she trying to tunnel out to free range ? Lol
    I guess it is useless what I have learned but it has helped me take care of them thus far ❤️

14. robin416

If she's not making a dust bath area she's looking for buried treasure to share with her peeps. It can be quite entertaining to watch when they come across something.

15. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

Oh wow ! Must be why they all went running over to her.

16. robin416

Yep, she'll tell them when she thinks she's found something.

RitaS likes this.
  17. Sylie

yep, she's looking for bugs and worms and teaching the babies to do the same thing so that someday they will have the skill to find their own food

RitaS likes this.
  18. RitaS

RitaS Active Member

Well I think she may be getting used to me, not there yet but going slowly
    She ate some from my (gloved) hand lol & allowed the chicks to also. Not many chicks did but will keep working at it.
    Luckily, I don’t see those spots on chicks but do see little tiny “feathers” poking out. It looks like the white tip of feathers. Idk what that’s called
    Chicks are getting big... momma has to stretch her wing a little to cover them lol
    They get on the roost now & sometimes nap there. I saw 2 of them puff out their chests at each other but no fighting as of yet !

19. robin416

Hens can be more suspicious of us when there are chicks present. In the early going with my Guinea parents and their keets I was the devil incarnate. Now they could care less if I'm around them.

RitaS likes this.
  20. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

It looks like you're making progress!

RitaS likes this.