Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm 20 and I'm looking to make some money on th side. I can't get a normal job because I sow horses for a living and my "here and gone" schedule doesn't allow it. So I thought if I went Into chickens, that would allow me to be gone for a week and have a guy at home feed the automatic feeders and waters. Band collect eggs. I just don't know how many I need and raising from what age and for what. I thought about 100 to start out with, but would be very appreciative about some hard honest info. Thanks y'all . Btw I'm in middle georgia

·
212 Posts
I don't think there is money in chickens, unless maybe if your raising for meat birds, in which I know nothing about, but as far as eggs, I don't make out, I even out with selling just enough eggs to buy feed, IMO

·
Happee ChickenSuperMomma
150 Posts
I'm raising chickens to provide healthy eggs for my family. :)

·
106 Posts
Not much;

If we sold our eggs, which we dont', we might make enough to pay for the feed and supplies, straw; wire; waterer's; electric, etc, we use. But to make money I think would take a larger operation. "Chicken feed ain't chicken feed".:eek:

We have plenty of eggs to eat. We give lots of eggs to friends, neighbors, and elderly. We just enjoy the circus, and there are hardly any bugs in or around our barn.:p

·
I luv Polish & Houdans
137 Posts
I have been involved with poultry since 1998. If you are looking to make money off of chickens or poultry, you are better off investing in the stock market. Every person that I have come across that has had ideas of either raising chickens for profit or creating a farm to raise heritage breeds, none I know have made money and have gave it up within 5 years.

It also isn't as easy as just buying a number of birds, throwing them in a coop with a bit of feed and water and reaping the mountain of eggs you think you will get. If the USA is anything like here in Canada, you have laws. You also have to worry about bio security concerns, health issues within the state/province you operate in. I know in the USA, some states have testing laws for poultry for some diseases and others where some types of poultry cannot be legally raised. So before you make any plans, I would advise you check you local laws & codes before you start buying birds. Even if you plan to just run a farm and sell locally, you should check your laws first.

Final bit of advice/opinion - Remember that you plan to make money off a living, breathing animal. It isn't just a thing. Respect it! I have nothing against the raising of livestock to provide for anyone, but treat your livestock with respect. That means, giving them a good life while they are providing you your income and when their time comes, you dispatch them humanely!
Too many people see livestock as nothing more than a thing with a profit margin. Remember that they are living beings so treat them with respect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
toybarons said:
I have been involved with poultry since 1998. If you are looking to make money off of chickens or poultry, you are better off investing in the stock market. Every person that I have come across that has had ideas of either raising chickens for profit or creating a farm to raise heritage breeds, none I know have made money and have gave it up within 5 years.

It also isn't as easy as just buying a number of birds, throwing them in a coop with a bit of feed and water and reaping the mountain of eggs you think you will get. If the USA is anything like here in Canada, you have laws. You also have to worry about bio security concerns, health issues within the state/province you operate in. I know in the USA, some states have testing laws for poultry for some diseases and others where some types of poultry cannot be legally raised. So before you make any plans, I would advise you check you local laws & codes before you start buying birds. Even if you plan to just run a farm and sell locally, you should check your laws first.

Final bit of advice/opinion - Remember that you plan to make money off a living, breathing animal. It isn't just a thing. Respect it! I have nothing against the raising of livestock to provide for anyone, but treat your livestock with respect. That means, giving them a good life while they are providing you your income and when their time comes, you dispatch them humanely!
Too many people see livestock as nothing more than a thing with a profit margin. Remember that they are living beings so treat them with respect.
Did you not read that I show horses for a living. I know a little bit about respect and laws and taking care of a living animal.

·
I luv Polish & Houdans
137 Posts
Did you not read that I show horses for a living. I know a little bit about respect and laws and taking care of a living animal.
No need to be touchy. You asked for opinions, and I gave you mine.
To answer your question, I did read you show horses. Still not changing what I said.

·
56 Posts
I have never made money from my chickens. I do it for the love of keeping them run out of their coup in the morning all chatting and chirping and watching them scratch about behaving like chickens do. They are mesmerising and respect comes from just taking care of them. I would guess that the only people making money is the commercial battery farms who have thousands and I am not sure if they really make that much.

·
Registered
267 Posts
$X,200. for the coop

$X00. for the run

Another X00.00 for feeder, waters, web cam and miscellaneous.

And $XX,000 for a Kawasaki Mule for chicken chores like hauling chicken poop for compost and picking up eggs.

$15 a month for feed.

7 months later I sold my first dozen eggs for $3.00

·
Registered
9 Posts
As with any income making venture, if you have any chance at all of making money with chickens, you would have to devote full time to it, not come and go and leave your "business" in someone else's care. You would have to be there to sell and deliver your eggs daily. If you aren't going to deliver eggs and expect people come to you, then you need to be easily accessible during set hours and be dependable. Most of us that raise chickens for eggs, end up giving them away to neighbors and friends and even that is time consuming, albeit a labor of love. If you want your birds to stay healthy, they need to be happy, stress-free and that means getting to know them, spending time with them. You need to know who lays and how often they lay or you won't notice if one of them suddenly gets egg bound or which one of them has weak shells and needs more calcium or if one of them has blood spots in their eggs and is experiencing stress or if one needs to be separated because she is being picked on. Just as with dogs, cats or any other pet, they need fresh water that is neither hot nor frozen and since they are outdoor animals, that means checking on then throughout the day. Most of us who raise backyard chickens consider our birds to be pets with the added benefit of fresh eggs. We go into it thinking we might make some egg money, but if we are honest about the bottom line, and include all the expenses, from building a coop, nesting boxes, run, feed, maintenance, time, egg cartons, starting chicks,... few of us even break even. On the other hand, if you live in a premium urban area, where organic eggs are selling for $5 a dozen or more, maybe you could turn a profit...? My 7 hens average 6 eggs a day. You have to allow for the fact that egg laying will go down as the hens age and they do not lay when they molt. You'll be competing with the large farms that don't humanely care for their hens and sell or slaughter them after only a couple years. On the other hand, chickens make awesome pets with perks!

·
I luv Polish & Houdans
137 Posts
$X,200. for the coop

$X00. for the run

Another X00.00 for feeder, waters, web cam and miscellaneous.

And $XX,000 for a Kawasaki Mule for chicken chores like hauling chicken poop for compost and picking up eggs.

$15 a month for feed.

7 months later I sold my first dozen eggs for $3.00
You forget to add, the expereice....priceless :D

·
I luv Polish & Houdans
137 Posts
In Canada, you just can't take and sell your eggs either. Each province has an poultry board that also control egg production. For instance, if you run a Bed & Breakfast and have serve eggs from your chicken coop, you can be shut down for selling eggs that have not been inspected. You take your eggs to a farmers market and a healh inspector catches you, you will be asked to remove them. Worse is if someone reports you as a seller, you will likely get a visit from a rep from your friendly provincial egg board, telling you to cease or risk being hauled into court for the illegal sale of eggs. Even having a chicken coop on your property if you are a feed seller is illegal in some provinces due to being a breech of bio security protocal.

Finally, here in Canada, each province has a restriction on the number of poultry you can keep before you will be considered a commercial operation. Where I am I think the number is 300 chickens. Some provinces, like Ontario that number is 99. Any more and you either have to reduce your flock or become regulated by the poultry board of your province.

The only legal way many backyard producers can sell eggs is from their driveway. We are allowed to place a sign on our property to tell the public we sell eggs but that is it. Irony here though, we can sell them an egg, but if we cook them an egg and they eat it, we are breaking the law as we are feeding the public an uninspected egg.

Be good when the quota system goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I read the initial post, but thought you simply spelled sew incorrectly, but still didn't understand what you meant by it. Aha, you SHOW horses. LOL I didn't get show out of sow. I just saw the other post that you show horses. That explains a little more. I don't see anywhere where you said you were wanting to raise chicken for meat or eggs or to breed them or show them. Now that I see you show horses, I see that my response about laying hens was completely off base. You obviously want to show chickens, not raise laying hens. My bad. I have no idea whether you can make money raising show chickens or showing chickens. I'm betting that it's a labor of love as well, but they do bring more money than meat chickens and laying hens. I think they take a lot more labor too though. Don't silkies need regular grooming? Anyone here who shows chickens?

·
I luv Polish & Houdans
137 Posts
Showing chickens evolves from the love of poultry and from keeping them first. If I offended Nickynick with what I said just when they wanted to raise layers or meat birds and their intent was raising show birds, they really will dislike my opinion. If you are raising birds for show, you simply cannot just buy birds, get someone to look after them and expect to make money selling exhibition stock or doing shows. You also won't be well recieved by anyone who shows birds if they know this is what you do. Showing poultry is a way of life and some of these people have been breeding and raising, sometimes just a single breed, for not just years but decades.
Don't know of anyone making their riches raising, selling or showing exhibition stock.

·
Registered
178 Posts
We sell eggs for $2/doz. With our flock of 30 hens we get $4/day. The feed costs about $30/mos. This is pretty much year-round. Only when I lose a bunch to a predator does this change. We have sold to restaurants, bakeries and at local sales. Right now, we only sell out of our rough roadside stand. We also sell goose eggs , when we have them, for a quarter apiece. We can't keep up with the demand but that's ok by us. The hens pay for themselves and the geese. We always have eggs to eat and man, the egg cash has comes in handy when we are strapped. We only eat the roosters who are too annoying to live. So while we don't really make much money, it doesn't cost us and we enjoy the perks.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts