Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to share my first attempt at building a chicken tractor.

The materials are mostly discarded pallets. I did purchase 2x4x10 treated lumber for the main frame and wheels. As you can see in my first attempt, I ended up with front higher than the back. I am still figuring out how to attach a hitch so that I can pull it with my lawn tractor.

Other materials include: chicken wire, metal separators from an old cabinet, and a tarp from wallyworld.

I am already starting on a new one, which will be a bit more refined after learning from the first.

Hope it inspires or at least gives you a chuckle. :)

Follow the link for pics - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.805219556285768.40824.133976673410063&type=1&l=8e5d01f9d6

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Tractor is what I used for my first coop when my girls were babies. Worked great! I still use it when I have a new chicken to introduce or if I have one that's sick and need to separate. However, I do curse the hubby every time I have to move it! Tires are bowlegged and its pretty heavy. (Move it by pushing it by hand.) Next one will be built according to "my" plans. ;) Lighter and wheels set up better!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I am finding out with the first one I build. I did see a YouTube video where someone re-purposed a wheel assemble from a lawnmower. That assembly had the adjustable wheels that could be raised for more clearance. I will try to find some or at least the brackets and add some pnuematic wheels.

I think that leverage is the key, where most of the weight is in the back, that way it is easier to lift and move, whether by hand or machine.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Good idea. Hubby used those small push mower wheels on mine and they are terrible the way he set them up. I had wanted to put 4 wheels on, not 2, so the weight would be more evenly dispersed. Its so hard to move because of the weight of the coop section pushes down on the wheels. I grumble to no end every time I have to move it. Its been a life saver when I have to separate an ill chicken or get a new one so I can slowly integrate the newbie.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally completed my second tractor. This one looks a bit more refined - aka almost magazine good ;). I learned a bit from the first one, which is in the photo stream for comparison. I am glad my chickens don't complain. :)

I was not able to find a mower wheel assembly to use; however, I left six inches from the back of the enclosure to the wheels. I makes a differece when moving. I also put the feed and water under the boxes to give them more room and the food/water are far enough back that they do not get soiled.

Comments, critiques, or laughs are appreciated. :D

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.805219556285768.40824.133976673410063&type=1&l=8e5d01f9d6

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.805219556285768.40824.133976673410063&type=1&l=8e5d01f9d6

1 - 6 of 6 Posts