New Rooster

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by BarredRock123, Aug 22, 2012.

1. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

I've decided to keep the rooster, but he's started crowing. So I just kept him in the garage on nights so he doesn't disturb the neighbors. I have a few question that I need to be answered desperately!

1. Do I need to keep the hens(5) separated from the rooster? I don't always want fertile eggs.
    2. Will he attack me later on?
    3. After a year or two is he going to stop mating with the hens?
    -Thanks

image-571020158.jpg

2. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

If you don't want fertile eggs, then keep the rooster seperated. Maybe keep him with just a few hens, then you will have some eggs that are fertile, and some that aren't. There is a possibility that he will attack you, especially if he thinks he is protecting his hens. He is a man, and will mate as long as he is able, longer than just a few years. :eek:

3. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

Thanks so much! How am I suppose to know he can start mating? When the hens start laying?

4. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I'd say 5 to 6 months of age. That's when my roosters start. But usually you will see him doing his thing.

5. madman

madman New Member

Well yes and no you will now he is mating when the eggs start hatching or when you see him.
    My new cockerel what I brought back from holiday was mating with the hens driving back in the land rover. I thought it was weird.
    Hope this helps :)

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

That Roo sounds like someone from Madmen. In the landrover... Sheesh! Lol ;-)

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Oh my gosh that's funny madman! Thanks for the laugh. :D

8. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

Wow, I didn't expect many replies :D it really helps!! Oh and one more question, how frequently will he mate in one day?

9. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I have seen my rooster mate 4 to 5 times in a day

10. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I don't have answers to your questions. Just wanted to say nice looking roo you have BarredRock!

11. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

Thanks! That was one of the reasons why we want to keep him :)

12. piglett

piglett Senior Member

if you put the eggs in the fridge they will never hatch
    they only start to turn into chicks under a hen or in a bator
    so even if you had 100 roosters as long as you collect the eggs every day there should be no chicks show up