Chicken Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to keep the rooster, but he's started crowing. So I just kept him in the garage on nights so he doesn't disturb the neighbors. I have a few question that I need to be answered desperately!

1. Do I need to keep the hens(5) separated from the rooster? I don't always want fertile eggs.
2. Will he attack me later on?
3. After a year or two is he going to stop mating with the hens?
-Thanks

image-571020158.jpg

Attachments

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
If you don't want fertile eggs, then keep the rooster seperated. Maybe keep him with just a few hens, then you will have some eggs that are fertile, and some that aren't. There is a possibility that he will attack you, especially if he thinks he is protecting his hens. He is a man, and will mate as long as he is able, longer than just a few years. :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well yes and no you will now he is mating when the eggs start hatching or when you see him.
My new cockerel what I brought back from holiday was mating with the hens driving back in the land rover. I thought it was weird.
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, I didn't expect many replies :D it really helps!! Oh and one more question, how frequently will he mate in one day?

·
1,466 Posts
if you put the eggs in the fridge they will never hatch
they only start to turn into chicks under a hen or in a bator
so even if you had 100 roosters as long as you collect the eggs every day there should be no chicks show up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts