Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't have a rooster so we got the next best thing. This is 8 week old Daisy. So loves the chickens and with any luck will help keep them safe.

image-3363997458.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Daisy is a cutie! My peepers will arrive Thursday or Friday and we are will get a puppy too. Is it ok to get a mixed breed or should I stick to those herding/protection breeds? I have heard that Marema and Australian Cattle or Shepherd are good ones. Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Our pit bull was well into adulthood when we brought the chickens home. I don't know what it is about them but she loves the things! I think it depends a lot on the dog's personality, though I would deffinatelly stay away from dog breeds that are bred for ratting, birding, or otherwise killing small animals... Just had a friend take in a Jack Russel which broke out of the house while she was at work and decimated her flock. She had a quite a few birds too - it was total carnage. :(

There are always livestock protection breeds to look into too.... like the Great Pyrenees.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GratefulGirl said:
Daisy is a cutie! My peepers will arrive Thursday or Friday and we are will get a puppy too. Is it ok to get a mixed breed or should I stick to those herding/protection breeds? I have heard that Marema and Australian Cattle or Shepherd are good ones. Any suggestions appreciated.
I'm not sure. Daisy is a pure German shepherd from a friend of ours who's police K-9 breed with their family German shepherd. She was the runt and the last one to go. We really didn't want another dog but my little boy fell in love with her. She is very smart though and we are glad to have her. At 8 weeks she will sit for a treat and go through the doggie door. ( just not to potty).

·
Banned
825 Posts
IF a Boxer is raised as a PUP with the chickens....., you won't find a more protective AND smart, congenial breed for Protection.
The Boxer will think they are HIS Family ! ( and NOBODY messes with HIS Family....except Family. )
But, he needs to be talked to...and kindly disciplined. ( Ya gotta explain things to those stubbornly intelligent dogs. They DO LOVE to PLAY and PLAY ROUGH ! They aren't called "Boxers" for no reason. Ha-Ha ! )
-ReTIRED- :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Daisy I adorable!

We have a Catahoula and a chihuahua mix that are great around the chickens so far. We also have a red healer/bull terrier and a lab mix that are more challenged with the idea that the chickens aren't their chew toys.

Good luck with your pup, I think she'll make a fine shepherd of her flock.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My australian shepherd is very gentle and protective toward my chickens:) such a sweetie, and he's a beautiful dog too

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you reAlly want a top-o-da line dog for guarding chickens i recommend Great parenese(hope i spelled that right)! My uncle has one and it is great! Anything that flys and tries to land "Pup Pup" will attack it and force it to keep flying. Also Pup Pup keeps away predators like *****, foxes etc.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Those are some beautiful pictures wow thank you! Will the Great Pyrenees handle the SE Texas heat & humidity with all that hair?

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Great Pyrenees does well in SC. I have several friends that have them. Not sure how much the weather differs from here and SE Texas.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The reason why i perfer the the anatolian over the pyrenees is just because of the fur. Missouri has brutal hot humid summers and cold winters. The anatolian's coat is short enough to be ok in the heat and is hardy eough to be ok in the cold. Dont think it is right to put a cold weather dog through such heat. Not humane in my mind. Both are great dogs though. I have the companian breed of the great pyrenees, the pyrenean shepherd. Great herding dog. Also i perfer the anatolian because of bias. Im bosnian... Gotta support my sister country turkey lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts