Chicken Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I re-homed my silkie rooster. He certainly was not top of the pecking order; he was somewhere in the middle.

I am left with 4 standard pullets and one 20 week old very small/immature silkie.

One of My Barred Rocks is clawing her way to the top. She is bulling the other girls and won't let them eat if she is eating. I saw her snap at another on the roost last night. This is out of character for her.

Even though she was not top bird, my Buff orpington was, is she creating a new order after the departure of my rooster?
I am new to this and just assumed everyone would just move up a "level".

I just want to make sure this behavior isn't a symptom of something else.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Yes it sounds like she is re-establishing the pecking order. Even though your silkie rooster was in the middle it still left a spot open. Maybe she thinks this is her chance to get to the top. Who knows. But if she is not allowing others to eat you may want to set up a 2nd feeder or separate her for a few days to a week. That way she will can not stop others from eating and when she is re-introduced into the flock she will be back at the bottom and hopefully not prevent others from eating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tweety, my golden comet, has been the top chicken forever. My flock of 6 are 2 1/2 years old. The past couple of days, she has been off on her own, not first one for treats, first to bed, just not her usual aggressive self. She seems fine, is more "normal" in the morning. She honestly seems depressed...is that possible? She's now at the bottom of the order. Do they go from top to bottom like that?

Sent from my iPad using Chicken Forum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts