New Peafowl 9/23...

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Poultry Judge, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Tonight, I had one India Blue chick hatch from the very last three eggs of the season. I will get a picture up tomorrow. The only issue is the other two eggs are quiet and I'm very much hoping that at least one more will hatch tonight or tomorrow. The last time I had a single Peafowl egg hatch from a group was "Baby" this last summer and he is the one who tried to become a house bird. I have to say 2020 has been the strangest year ever for me hatching birds. This has been the year for really weird hatchery stories also.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

As I was reading I was thinking about you having another Baby in the house. Do peafowl hatch the way Guineas hatch, like popcorn?

Who's left in the brooder? Anyone?

3. Poultry Judge

Peafowl 9-23.jpg Peachick andBlue Swedish.jpg Yes, they generally hatch like popcorn and the other two have not hatched as of this morning. I placed one of the Blue Swedish ducklings in with it, I can't stand for them to be alone. I made up a tub brooder for in the house as the mornings are pretty chilly on the porch. The other ducklings are adapting well to the big brooder out there with a 200 watt ceramic bulb at night.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2020
  4. robin416

LOL the look on that duckling's face. Like "What the heck are you?" It's a really good thing you had the ducklings hatch so it can have a companion. I hated singles too. That's where my Silkies were such a blessing. I could take a single out to certain hens and they'd take them.

It sure doesn't sound good for the last two eggs. Have you checked for any sound? If candling didn't show me enough I'd hold a due to hatch egg to my ear and listen. If they're viable they can be heard moving around in the egg.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  5. Poultry Judge

Yes, Peafowl are usually pretty noisy in the egg. I have no sound with the other two.

6. robin416

Darn, I'm sorry. I feel so bad when they get so far and can't make it to the end result.

7. Poultry Judge

I know I keep saying it but this is the weirdest year ever. These eggs were from a private breeder, 3 India Blue from unrelated pairs. I was hoping for better.

8. robin416

Well, we all hope for better when incubating eggs. So, you're not alone there in your disappointment.

It's kind of the reason I tell folks to get more than a couple of eggs if they can afford them because of the chances being higher for failure with too few eggs.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  9. Poultry Judge

Yes, I usually like to have at least half a dozen but it was the end of the season.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  10. robin416

I misinterpreted what you were saying and I was thinking half a dozen hatched. Well, that too.