Ducks New members to the family.

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by 444lover, Feb 23, 2019.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

And that's the challenge of having a wild critter hanging out with you. And from the sounds of it he has no true loyalty to any one being.

2. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Nope,he's free as a bird lol. He goes wherever the mood strikes him.

3. robin416

What is the weather doing today? I've been wondering if the extreme cold has your ducks knowing that it isn't good for their feet and that's why they didn't want to go out.

4. 444lover

444lover Active Member

It was in the mid 30s yesterday and 40s today. I found out that the 1 that's been sort of crippled since birth has had a backslide again. He's really having trouble getting around again and they're not leaving him. They came out a little ways today but he just laid around a few feet from the pen. Looks like I might to make a decision again on whether to put another 1 down or not. I'll see how he does the next few days. It all started when I had them all stay in with Quackers in there because of the snow and cold. I didn't see any blood so I doubt Quackers did anything but the real cold weather might have. He's having more trouble moving 1 of his legs again like when he was younger.

5. robin416

Can you give them some sort of pain reliever? If you can and he improves it will pinpoint that it's pain he's suffering from.

6. 444lover

444lover Active Member

All I have is Ibuprofen but I wouldn't know how to give it to him.

Looks like the geese problems are starting early this year,I'll probably have to put the other 1 down,not Quackers. They were on the other side of the pond when I went out to let the ducks out. As I was coming in I saw 3 of the ducks heading towards the pond while the other 1 was waiting on the crippled 1 to come out. I hadn't been in more than a couple of minutes when I saw Quackers by the building and commotion going on inside the building. I went down to look and the other goose was inside hissing at the duck,all of them were in there. He even rared up and hissed at me so I chased his butt out and over by the pond again. Again no more than a couple of minutes after I got back in I looked out the back door and saw commotion again and was ready to head back out when the other goose came running out with Quackers right on his tail,I thought well Quackers is protecting them again like he did most of the time last year. A few minutes went by and a duck came out and I'll be but Quackers lowered his head and ran towards the duck and the duck ran back in. I was getting a little pissed off. Sure enough a few minutes later I looked and saw commotion again so I went back down and the other 1 was in there again hissing at them. I said that's enough,I chased him out and close the ducks up in there. I just didn't feel like messing with it today,I've got enough stuff going on to be dealing with watching the ducks all day. I also didn't want the ***** next door,pardon my French but she really is a *****,seeing me shoot a CG out of season and reporting me. This whole week is suppose to be dreary,mid 30s and rainy,really not good weather for burying a goose. Any day I see the geese out there I'll just leave them in,if I let them out and later in the day see the geese then I'll have to watch them. Come next week when the weather's suppose to be better,if I see him doing it again he's going to wind up with 5 shot from a 12 gauge ending his life. I'll just have to make sure I do it out by the pond where she can't see me and bury him out there somewhere too instead of the garden where I usually bury them,where she can see me.

7. robin416

For sure not ibuprofen, it's toxic to most animals and I know it's toxic with chickens. Aspirin is my usual go to for a bird in pain but I don't know if ducks can have it.

That sucks. After what you went through last year there was always the strong chance it would happen this year especially since they are a year older.

I would suggest calling the DNR people because they will relocate them if they're becoming a problem. Since they're going after your ducks that's plenty of reason for them to come haul them off and you won't get into any trouble.

8. 444lover

444lover Active Member

True but it's not like relocating a raccoon,these things can fly all the way to Central America and still find their way home.
    I guess I could call them ans see what they suggest though,it's not like they were raised in the wild,if that matters. I'll think on it.

9. robin416

I know, I did think about that. But they might have answers for the problem.

10. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Yeah they might. I sure wish these %$%$#$ geese would get the ^%^%^ out of here so I can let the poor little lovable white duckies out into the beautiful sunshine for a nice refreshing swim in the sweet pond. Oh well. :rolleyes:
    :D

11. robin416

Didn't you say you have a low fence for them outside of their coop?

12. 444lover

444lover Active Member

I've got a small pen but it's only about 4 foot square,it's got top on it though,it's like a cube. 5 full grown ducks in it is rather crowded.

13. robin416

You can give them the choice to wander in and out can't you?

And I was thinking, the DNR may give you permission to dispatch the two. I know they allow it with other protected species when they're a threat to livestock and pets.

14. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Yeah they can wonder in and out but like I said it's real crowded if they're all in there at once,no room really to move around.

I thought of that too,I'm not sure to what point they'd allow it though. If the geese would actually have to attack 1 or if just chasing them would qualify.
    I know last year he did that a lot when I first let them out but after they were out for awhile then they were all 1 big happy group. Not sure if that'll still be the case this year or not. With the weather being rather cold again the pond will probably be frozen tomorrow anyway. A couple more days inside won't kill them. Saturday and Sunday should be nice,I'll let them out and keep an eye on them. If I ever see 1 attack a duck though I won't hesitate....BOOM!!!