Ducks New members to the family.

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by 444lover, Feb 23, 2019.

1. 444lover

444lover Active Member

I wish Rural king had a bigger selection,I've only seen 3 kinds over there and so far no geese. I still bet you'd have to order them unless they sell them that fast. But chickens,there's more than Carter's has pills.

2. 444lover

444lover Active Member

The geese are back again tonight. It can't be because they're looking for water because everything's thawed out. I think maybe they're getting lonely,they were in the fence row with the ducks when I first went out. Quackers was doing his normal routine of honking back when I quacked and following me everywhere. :D It was sure nice to see them and that they're ok. Hopefully they'll hang around awhile.

3. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

They just can't desert you totally. Does the neighbor still have his ducks up and you think that's why they came to visit today?

4. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Yeah he keeps them up all winter I believe. He has so many it's probably too hard to get them in to mess with during the winter. I doubt his are trained as well as mine since he doesn't put them in every night like I do. I know that 1 fall when he was late putting them up and they came over here,we had a heck of a time just getting them off the pond,took us about a half hour.

5. robin416

Dang, don't they have their own pond?

I'll bet it was funny watching the two of you running around the outside of the pond trying to get them moving towards home.

6. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Yeah they've got a pretty good sized pond,at least twice our sized.

We about gave up at 1 point,but they finally got off. Then trying to keep them together until we got them over to his place and put in the pen was a little bit of a challenge too. We had to go at an angle across the road,through the neighbor across the road's yard,then through the end of a field and a Church parking lot to get them to his place. He lives up a sort of long lane that's probably 250 - 300 yards from our pond.

7. robin416

LOL My flock of Guineas were easier to deal with than that lot. Someone should have filmed that with the two of you trying to herd a bunch of uncooperative ducks back to where they needed to be.

Do ducks not have the same flock mentality as what I see with my Guineas? Once I got my crowd moving in the direction I needed them to go they were pretty easy to keep going.

8. 444lover

444lover Active Member

They stay together pretty well usually but sometimes they split up going opposite directions. Sometimes I have to play "duck tennis" with the bird brains lol.

Guess what,when I went out this morning to let them out I heard honking towards the pond and I'll be but the CG were on the far side. It's 2 PM now and they're still here. They were here the day and got the ducks on the pond. Yesterday they were on it too but today it's frozen again. For the last couple of hours they've all been in the building.

I just went down and looked and there's only 1 in the building with the ducks now,I'm not sure where the other 1 is.

9. robin416

It would be nice if they'd make up their minds on just where they want to live. But I guess it's the nature of a wild critter whether they were hatched by humans or their own kind.

One thing for sure, you're learning how different they are when they haven't been bred by humans forever to domesticate them.

10. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Yep I am.
    Ends up ot was Quackers that was in the building,he'll be staying a couple of days. They were in the fence row when I went out to put the ducks up,but he followed them right in. We're suppose to get 2-5" of snow tonight and I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow afternoon and probably won't be home yet when I put them up so I'm leaving them in tomorrow. It's suppose to get into the single digits tomorrow night with only a high of 17 on Friday so I'll leave them in that day too. I hope the other gander won't be back tomorrow wondering where everybody's at because the only way I could get him in is to open it up and the others would get out. Hopefully he'll be ok,wherever he is.

11. robin416

I wonder why Quackers is so much more attached to you than the other one. It's one of those mysteries there will probably never be an answer for.

I am so glad I don't have to deal with temps like you get. I'd be so miserable.

12. 444lover

444lover Active Member

I'm not really sure,Quackers for some reason is just a lot more tame than all the others. I've noticed a few times when different batches were still real young and in the house in the totes that some would be more tame and eat out of my hand. Course they always seem to get instantly sort of wild/chicken/scared some when I 'd put them in the building. The 1 African brown wasn't quite as wild as the others but also wasn't quite as tame as Quackers,beats me why he's different. For the first year he was like the rest,then when breeding season came he changed and it stuck.

13. robin416

And no one ever will be. I know they all have individual personalities but his willingness to hang with you where the other, raised by you, could care less is something of a quandary. Unless Quackers is the alpha of the two and doesn't want the other to be too close to you.

14. 444lover

444lover Active Member

I suppose it's possible but the other 1 is like the ducks,he just has no interest in being around me. Quackers reminds me of stories a guy in my class back in Elementary School told of him having a pet chicken. He said it followed him around like a dog and wanted to be around him all the time. I don't think he had other chickens though but he could have.

15. robin416

I don't know why I'm so confused about the difference in behavior of the two. I had two Hamburg sisters, one is the most personable bird. Doesn't mind to be touched or picked up. Her sister on the other hand could get all fired up just looking at her. And she stayed that way her entire 8 years of life.

16. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Yep,different personalities just like with people.
    When I went out this morning to water them I noticed the heated water dish was frozen. I thought great,it's been fine all winter but the day it's in the single digits it decides to go out. Then I noticed it was unplugged o_O. That only seems to happen when the geese are around,I bet Quackers did it :rolleyes:.

17. robin416

LOL Quackers is just keeping you on your toes.

So, did everyone get out today? How did he do locked up for an entire day?

18. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Actually he's been locked up for 2 days and will be for 3 at least. It's too snowy and cold out there now. We got a couple inches of snow the first day I had them locked up and it was only in the teens today. When I first went down to water them the windchill was -4. Tomorrow is only suppose to get up to the middle 30 but with the snow and the pond being frozen there really wouldn't be much they could do but stay in.I'll probably let them out Sunday if it's like they say it'll be. He's been doing just fine though,just like old times.

19. robin416

I'm really surprised he's doing so good being up like that for so long. I sure hope he doesn't prove to be a problem for you when Spring comes back around.

20. 444lover

444lover Active Member

He may not stay you never know. I let them out today and I heard the other 1 honking over at Fred's. Quackers was honking back and after a few minutes the other 1 flew over but he just circled over the property and went back over to Fred's. Quackers is still here though, in front of the building by himself. For some reason the ducks don't want to come out.

P.S. They were both here a few hours ago but now they're both gone.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020 at 6:51 PM