Ducks New members to the family.

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by 444lover, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Kendra

Kendra New Member

Canadian geese?! Golly never heard of that one! o_O Very cool though, must have been quite the adventure!

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, he bought geese eggs from an Amish farmer, turns out a couple of them were CGs. He and I sort of learned together that sometimes a wild goose will lay in a domestic goose' nest and that appears to be what happened.

Chances are he'll be around tomorrow or the next day to pop in for a minute.

Kendra likes this.

3. Kendra

Kendra New Member

Huh, so did he let it free or keep it? This is actually very interesting.

4. robin416

He pretty much let them be geese. I just asked him recently about them, he said they had moved over to the neighbor's but wasn't sure if they were still there.

Kendra likes this.
  5. Kendra

Kendra New Member

So they're staying with his neighbor? Does he feed the geese? Canadians are so gorgeous if they were legal here I would probably be buying eggs for them right now, lol.

6. robin416

He doesn't know. As they reached maturity they became a problem for his domestics so he let them be their wild selves. It got to where he hoped they would leave on their own which it appears they've done.

There is a strong possibility if they did migrate out for the Winter, they'll return to the immediate area in the Spring.

Kendra likes this.
  7. Kendra

Kendra New Member

Once they come back won't they start breeding? That might turn into a problem if he doesn't want them.

8. Kendra

Kendra New Member

Once they lay eggs and start laying on them they start getting mean and protective, hope his geese stay away from them.

9. robin416

Whenever 444 shows back up he can explain some of this better since he has hands on experience with them. But observations from watching the CGs where I once worked the young return to the area they hatched, the parents would tell them no way could they hang out with them and would run them off.

If I remember right, CGs don't pair up until they're two or three years old.

And if you go back to the beginning you can see I know very little about ducks and was not very excited about giving him advice on some of the challenges he was facing with duckling problems.

Kendra likes this.
  10. Kendra

Kendra New Member

Ah, makes since, didn't know that about geese..

11. robin416

Neither did we for the most part. It was questioning why this or that and net searches that helped understand some of it.

Kendra likes this.
  12. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Actually I got the CG as goslings not eggs. I had a couple of African Browns that wound up being both males and something got 1 of them,probably a coyote. I was looking to get it a friend and the Amish guy I got the CG from had a mating pair of African Browns but also had a CG hanging around. It left for a week and came back. He wasn't sure which kind they was and I wasn't sure either but his African Brown raised them so I bought 2 off of him and sure enough they were CG. Ends up they were both males too. I've had them a year,last winter they took off for a week or so and came back. I put all the ducks and geese in at night and the CG were real tame. 1 I call Quackers would follow me around and honk real loud and sort of charge at me with it's head lowered any time I'd quack real loud. Last Spring he started going over to the neighbors every night and the following morning I'd quack real loud and call him back home. After a month or so they both went over to the neighbors and decided they liked it there better I guess,probably because he has an African Brown. I had to kill my African Brown because it tried to kill my only male duck. I had 2 or 3 female ducks and 3 male geese and only 1 male duck then. Now I have 3 male ducks and only 1 female duck. The breeding season caused a lot of troubles with more males then females and next year will be the same probably. I'm planning on getting more ducks next Spring and I sure hope to get some more hens,the 1 I have for some reason quit laying,at least that I see and she's only 1 or 2 years old,not sure because of all the changing around in the last year lol.

Kendra likes this.
  13. robin416

14. 444lover

444lover Active Member