Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a new member to the Chicken Forum. I don't have any chickens yet. I'm planning on getting three 4-year-old Silkie Bantams this week. Two hens and a rooster. I hope to start up a hatchery. We already have layers. They are Red Stars/Isa Browns. The rooster (I think) is an Egyptian Fayoumi. I may get my new hens to raise some of their chicks since the hens don't sit on their eggs. What do you call that when they are trained not to sit on their eggs? As y'all can see, I know very little about chickens. 馃槃

Administrator
Welcome to the forum, Silkie Girl.

I take it the layers belong to someone else in your family.

I have some concerns about the age of the Silkies you're getting. Yes, many will continue to lay until they're six or seven years old but not all. And once they quit laying they will no longer go broody which is sitting on eggs to hatch.

Do you have more information on the birds you're getting? Do you know where they came from, did the breeder raise them or are they hatchery birds?

Chickens are not trained to not sit on eggs. It's bred out of them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Yes, the layers belong to my dad.

Yes, that was my first thought but I have had a hard time finding Bantam Silkies for sale in my area. I didn't want to buy 30+ so I couldn't order any. I plan to raise some chicks off of them.

Honestly, I don't really have any information on them. At first, I just wanted two pet hens then decided that I'd get a rooster too.

Administrator
As you can see from my avatar Silkies were my thing. You need to do some homework on where your birds are coming from. How healthy they are? Don't jump in with both feet without being an informed buyer. There are other Silkies out there.

You might get a decent start with them before they quit laying entirely.

BTW, what variety (color) are you getting?

I get not wanting to order from a hatchery. Not many folks want that many at one time.

Super Moderator
Hello, I am a new member to the Chicken Forum. I don't have any chickens yet. I'm planning on getting three 4-year-old Silkie Bantams this week. Two hens and a rooster. I hope to start up a hatchery. We already have layers. They are Red Stars/Isa Browns. The rooster (I think) is an Egyptian Fayoumi. I may get my new hens to raise some of their chicks since the hens don't sit on their eggs. What do you call that when they are trained not to sit on their eggs? As y'all can see, I know very little about chickens. 馃槃
Welcome to the forum!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As you can see from my avatar Silkies were my thing. You need to do some homework on where your birds are coming from. How healthy they are? Don't jump in with both feet without being an informed buyer. There are other Silkies out there.

You might get a decent start with them before they quit laying entirely.

BTW, what variety (color) are you getting?

I get not wanting to order from a hatchery. Not many folks want that many at one time.
Yes, I see that. Very beautiful chicken.

They are healthy. What do I need to look for in an adult chicken?

The lady said they were laying. If I only get a couple of hens off of them, that's fine.

Thanks for the heads up.

A white hen, a blue hen, and a blue splash rooster.
Welcome to the forum!
Thank you!

Administrator
Make sure their eyes are round and bright looking. That there is no messy feathers. No drainage from the eyes or nares (nostrils).

OK, having the the blue and splash you'll get more blues and splash babies. The white with the blue roosters will be a mystery until peeps hatch.

Registered
Welcome! That鈥檚 awesome that you鈥檙e getting some for yourself, I鈥檓 sure you鈥檒l know tons in no time.

Might I make a suggestion? I am also in an area where the stock options and breeders are somewhat limited. I ordered from Ideal Poultry last fall and got just 7 chicks. I think there is a minimum money amount, if they鈥檙e still shipping as such. The policy is pretty extensive, but might be worth checking out since you are limited locally. Their selection is really pretty good, and I can say my chickens have done good.

Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure their eyes are round and bright looking. That there is no messy feathers. No drainage from the eyes or nares (nostrils).

OK, having the the blue and splash you'll get more blues and splash babies. The white with the blue roosters will be a mystery until peeps hatch.
Alright. Thank you!

I was going to ask you that. 75% splash and 25% blue, right? Thanks!
Welcome! That鈥檚 awesome that you鈥檙e getting some for yourself, I鈥檓 sure you鈥檒l know tons in no time.

Might I make a suggestion? I am also in an area where the stock options and breeders are somewhat limited. I ordered from Ideal Poultry last fall and got just 7 chicks. I think there is a minimum money amount, if they鈥檙e still shipping as such. The policy is pretty extensive, but might be worth checking out since you are limited locally. Their selection is really pretty good, and I can say my chickens have done good.

Good luck!
Thank you! I hope so. I have two cats. I know a lot more about them than I do chickens.

What's the minimum requirement for bantams? I do love their selection. They have a lot of Silkie Bantams. Thanks again!

Registered
I can鈥檛 recall, mine were banties. Lemme see if I can find it real quick.
It鈥檚 a $30 minimum order, not a number, they just state they will /may add extra boys for warmth and comfort if a very small order. Here鈥檚 a link if you want to check it and them out- I鈥檓 not advertising or pushing them, I just had a good experience and they may fit your needs. Ok there鈥檚 my disclaimer! Lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very cool. So the least I could get would be seven. Still a bit more than I'd like so I think if I like these that I'm getting, I'll buy seven Bantam Silkies from Ideal Poultry. I wish I knew about this earlier! What would I do with the roosters they may add for extra warmth and/or comfort? Thank you so much!

Administrator
That's the downside to the shipping. It's also an issue getting bantams, they can't be sexed before shipping so you could end up with more males than females.

Starting off with the trio probably will work for you. Have plans on how to sell off any males they hatch. Most of the time I paired them with a female to keep my numbers down.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, one reason why I didn't want to order day-old chicks. I thought once I'd sell all but one rooster, I'd have a smaller flock to work with. When can they be sexed?

Yes, I plan on selling all of their chicks unless there's some hens I'd want to keep. I'm thinking of starting a FaceBook page or a website.

Administrator
You sex Silkies by appearance. Some can be done at a fairly young age, most have to wait for several months.

If you're going to keep Silkies around you're going to have to plan to keep something from the chicks. Your trio is getting a bit old to continue laying for long so you want to have some peeps to take over.

Super Moderator
You sex Silkies by appearance. Some can be done at a fairly young age, most have to wait for several months.

If you're going to keep Silkies around you're going to have to plan to keep something from the chicks. Your trio is getting a bit old to continue laying for long so you want to have some peeps to take over.
Next comes chicken math.

Administrator
Next comes chicken math.
Right? I only know one person who was able to avoid chicken math.

SG, I know you don't know what chicken math is. It's where someone swears I'm going to have three chickens and that's it. Then they see another breed with totally different looks and they have to have at least one. Then that repeats itself over and over again. In the end they end up with massive flocks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Several months. Okay. When exactly do Bantam Silkie roosters and hens mature?

Oh, yes, I was planning on keep couple or more of their chicks. I heard that chickens are more tolerate of inbreeding then cats and dogs. Is this true? Is it something that shouldn't be done at all?

SG, I know you don't know what chicken math is. It's where someone swears I'm going to have three chickens and that's it. Then they see another breed with totally different looks and they have to have at least one. Then that repeats itself over and over again. In the end they end up with massive flocks.
Interesting.

Administrator
It varies greatly. Most you know what sex they are by six months. Some are a mystery for several more months.

I don't have many pics on this computer with individual Silkies to help you with sexing them. I guess at some point I should get them loaded on here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I think I can avoid that. LOL.
It varies greatly. Most you know what sex they are by six months. Some are a mystery for several more months.

I don't have many pics on this computer with individual Silkies to help you with sexing them. I guess at some point I should get them loaded on here.
Oh, I thought that six months was more like several.

Okay, thank you. I think I'll create a thread about sexing the chicks once they hatch.

Thank you so much for your help! You've been great!

Administrator
You're more than welcome. I love talking about the birds, Silkies especially.

There are clues but it's best for you to see them on your own peeps once we can point those things out to you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts