New member from SC!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by badman400, Dec 27, 2012.

1. badman400

badman400 New Member

Hello everyone. Just starting to plan a chicken coop. Never had one as an adult, though we grew up with free range chickens. Ate fresh eggs and fresh chicken as a boy and would love to have some to add to our food stores and for fertilizer for my garden. Joining here to learn from the chicken sages.
    Wade :cool:

For any of you who are familiar with Engineer775 on Youtube, he just published a video showing how to preserve eggs for 9 months using sodium silicate.

2. rob

rob New Member

hello and welcome. :)

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Hello Badman. Not a great name there, I might add. Welcome to chicken land from NJ.

4. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

5. badman400

badman400 New Member

There's a story behind the name. I was grieving aloud to a dear friend years ago, over having to punish my then young daughter. I told the friend that I felt like a bad man. She laughed and jokingly said, "Oh yeah, you're a "bad" man alright. Why don't you just make that your screen name?" So I did on a lark, and it stuck. I am a member of dozens of forums under the same username, but I don't think I am really considered "bad". I am a husband, and my wife and I have 9 children all grown, and 16 grandchildren. We have been getting more and more involved in being prepared and I have often thought of raising chickens over the years. Just never got a round tuit, as they say. :rolleyes:

6. rob

rob New Member

ive seen worse screen names. and there is always a good story behined the names people choose.

7. hendrixcoop

hendrixcoop New Member

Badman, which part of SC & you haven't got chickens yet? Hello from Columbia

8. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Hello from MI. Welcome aboard. :) What kind of chickens are you thinking of getting? I will forewarn you, they are soooo addicting!!!!!!! ;)

9. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Okay, Badman. Good story. Didn't mean to offend. I was just a little shocked by your choice of moniker. It's not my decision, clearly it's yours. Lol. Welcome to the forum. I really hope you enjoy your visit.

10. badman400

badman400 New Member

Upstate SC, near Greenville. No chickens or coop yet. Just beginning to learn, and would like to figure out the best coop to build on a budget but still look decent. It's just the two of us now. I have just under an acre of land in a sub division. Semi-rural atmosphere, no restictions. I have enough trees and a lower area in the back where I could locate the coop where it would not be seen from the road, but still close enough to go bakc and forth to feed, water, etc.

Don't know which chickens to choose. Moderate climate. Warm Summers and moderate winters with a rare snow and only about a month or two of freezing temps.

11. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Welcome & Greetings from Ohio....the Buckeye state!!!
    I'm talking the "Buckeye Chicken" NOT the worthless nut!!!

12. Judymae

Judymae New Member

Welcome! I'm new too! But I've had chickens and ducks for years now. You said you were researching...do u want a dual purpose chicken? One that is good for meat and eggs? I'm sure someone on here can help you out with some suggestions!

13. badman400

badman400 New Member

Thanks! Welcome to you also. And yes, I've gotten a few suggestions on some of the dual purpose breeds. I am thinking of building a "tractor" type coop out of lightweight vinyl siding & foam, using screws and glue to put it all together, with a wood framed run. Two wheels in back should make it easy to move it from spot to spot occasionally to keep the chickens' run on fresh ground and fertilize the grass and soil. I know chicken manure will burn grass and plants. Anyone with a tractor type coop care to weigh in on how often you move yours around?

I was thinking of making a row of laying boxes across the back wall and putting little "slide" hatches in the wall, so I could just lift, reach in to harvest the eggs from outside, and slide back down. Any advice/comments?

Also thinking of making a few raised beds and a greenhouse cover so I can do some year round tomatoes. The chickens should make good fertilzer for that as well.

Still no physical progress yet. Only a few rough drawings. Youngest son was hit a few nights/week ago by a hit & run drunk driver while riding a motorcycle. He was run over by two cars and walked away with a few tire marks and some road rash. Very lucky to be alive. That has put all plans on hold for the last week or so. But hopefully I will be able to start something by this spring. In the meantime, I'll keep compiling advice from you poultry experts and refining my coop/breed planning accordingly.

Thanks again.
    Wade :cool:

14. BikerChick

BikerChick New Member

Well, I am glad you did! It is such a great way to have your own fresh food with the benefit of having a pet.