Chicken Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

How do folks handle hawks. I had a hawk fly on my chicken but chicken too big to lift plus I was right there screaming at hawk and it flew away thank god. Chicken fine I have not let chickens out of there coop since.
Next time I do I will stand guard with my dog. Hawks very hungry this time of year.
Any suggestions??

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Outside of a covered run, there is no foolproof way to keep the chickens safe. I have seen mechanical owls that you can move around your property to scare the hawks off, but they are smart birds, and will catch on soon enough. A rooster will protect his girls, but often at his own cost. A covered run, even if it's just covered with netting is safer than nothing.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hi, and welcome! We live in NH and there's a ton of hawks here. Our girls have a covered run to deter them. It's not so bad. It's covered with regular chicken wire so it wasn't really expensive or anything.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
I saw on Facebook where someone put a decoy crow up, and the hawks left, and more crows came, too. Crows will keep a hawk away, but crows will also eat chicks.

·
Registered
839 Posts
fuzziebutt said:
I saw on Facebook where someone put a decoy crow up, and the hawks left, and more crows came, too. Crows will keep a hawk away, but crows will also eat chicks.
They have those ones made of real feathers in the stores at Halloween. I wonder if those would work?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Crows can eat chickens I thought if the chicken was dead and not alive. I hate keeping them in a run all the time. They are happy outside running around.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How do folks hand introduction of new chickens ? I just got 3 more and my chickens are really bad. I have the new ones isolated during the day but at night I put them in the hen house since all is quiet! I just bought a doggie cage for the hens during the day to go in. My calmest chicken is the worst who would have thought she would be the worst?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts