New Member From Boston Area

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by joyce1, Jan 29, 2013.

1. joyce1

joyce1 New Member

Raising chickens for couple of years just love it.

Attached Files:

2. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

Beautiful birds, and welcome!

3. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Welcome. Love the coop!

4. rob

rob New Member

welcome aboard, great birds and a great coop.

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Hi! Welcome to the forum. :) Thanks for sharing the pics! Very nice.

6. joyce1

joyce1 New Member

Thanks

How do folks handle hawks. I had a hawk fly on my chicken but chicken too big to lift plus I was right there screaming at hawk and it flew away thank god. Chicken fine I have not let chickens out of there coop since.
    Next time I do I will stand guard with my dog. Hawks very hungry this time of year.
    Any suggestions??

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

No. I just lost my Roo yesterday to a hawk. Still broken hearted.

8. heb24

heb24 Junior Member

Welcome! I am from near Boston too and we have lots of hawks. Had one close call so far.

9. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Outside of a covered run, there is no foolproof way to keep the chickens safe. I have seen mechanical owls that you can move around your property to scare the hawks off, but they are smart birds, and will catch on soon enough. A rooster will protect his girls, but often at his own cost. A covered run, even if it's just covered with netting is safer than nothing.

10. heb24

heb24 Junior Member

Yikes! We woke up to this today. I must have jinxed myself.

image-3344121761.jpg

11. WeeLittleChicken

WeeLittleChicken Active Member

Hi, and welcome! We live in NH and there's a ton of hawks here. Our girls have a covered run to deter them. It's not so bad. It's covered with regular chicken wire so it wasn't really expensive or anything.

12. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Greetings from Ohio and welcome to the Chicken Forum!

13. joyce1

joyce1 New Member

Thanks I have a covered run but this is when they run free which they love to do

14. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

I saw on Facebook where someone put a decoy crow up, and the hawks left, and more crows came, too. Crows will keep a hawk away, but crows will also eat chicks.

15. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

They have those ones made of real feathers in the stores at Halloween. I wonder if those would work?

16. joyce1

joyce1 New Member

Crows can eat chickens I thought if the chicken was dead and not alive. I hate keeping them in a run all the time. They are happy outside running around.
    Thanks

17. joyce1

joyce1 New Member

How do folks hand introduction of new chickens ? I just got 3 more and my chickens are really bad. I have the new ones isolated during the day but at night I put them in the hen house since all is quiet! I just bought a doggie cage for the hens during the day to go in. My calmest chicken is the worst who would have thought she would be the worst?