New Member Closed Flock

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Closed Flock, Nov 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Closed Flock

Closed Flock Member

I am new here. Interested in chickens and how they get along with their world.

Slippy likes this.
  2. danathome

danathome Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome. There's many good people here.

3. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.

Is this a personal exercise for yourself studying chickens or are you asking us? We could give you so much information your head would spin.

Just suffice it to say, they are addictive. There are few people that can ignore the siren call of having just a couple more.

4. Closed Flock

Closed Flock Member

I have a several chickens and had them for a while. They are interesting to watch. Some the young ones and a couple hens run loose and I follow them when I can. They have a couple acres of mowed area and another acre or so of woods. They seem to have a pattern to what they do. It is fun for me to see why they do certain thinks and how I can get them to go to locations following my direction.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  5. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Yes they are definitely curious little things! They love to see what we are up to. Or follow for food. Either way!

6. robin416

Just like us they do develop routines. But let them discover a new place that has all sorts of goodies and they'll change up real quick.

7. Closed Flock

Closed Flock Member

Currently I have some in little pens that have been placed over my raised gardens. Trying to see what makes the chickens want to invest more in scratching up and eating the weed seed bank. The Orientals out of Pakistan put a lot more into scratching the soil up than the other chickens do. Will be nice to see if they can be tricked into digging more.

8. robin416

Grubs, worms, anything that lives in the soil should entice them to dig more.

9. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

10. Overmountain1

Throw out some loose millet seed (if you don’t mind anyway) but it’s so small they get some serious scratching down in to get at it all. Mine do anyway!

11. Closed Flock

Closed Flock Member

This is closer to what I have been doing using my scratch grain mix. I am not able to directly manipulate the in-soil critters of interest to the chickens. Next year I might be able to by making so soil has a lot more leaf matter in it.

12. robin416

And crazy as it sounds, mine don't care for millet.

Poultry Judge and Closed Flock like this.
  13. Closed Flock

Closed Flock Member

Mine are reluctant to consume grain with even small amount of mycotoxins. Some grains diverted to scratch grain use may have been diverted from more lucrative people food grain use because of the because of the quality that can be related to fungus issues associated with mycotoxins.

14. Poultry Judge

I've heard that but some Ohio farmers around me say that doesn't happen here too much. I've been told that the decision making is up to the food scientists regarding the quality of the grains used.

15. Poultry Judge

At least it's not the Middle Ages and we're not all tripping from the hallucinogenic mushrooms growing in the grain!

robin416 and Overmountain1 like this.
  16. Overmountain1

Awww, but why not! If we thought the chickens are entertaining now, imagine how fun they’d be then!

robin416 likes this.
  17. Poultry Judge

Yes, that's true, Ha Ha!

18. Closed Flock

Closed Flock Member

Some of the poor quality grains I have gotten were do to storage, with wheat and millet in particular. They may have been good at first but went bad before I made purchase. Our feed miller does not like to work with wheat because it stores so poorly and the millet production is not good locally for year round supply. Most millet consumed on the farms that produce it. A farmer roughly 2 miles away has about 120 acres in millet, but none will be available for use in my feed. It is going into hog feed I think.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  19. Poultry Judge

You would think he would sell you some, you only need a small amount compared to what they are feeding the hogs.

20. Siobhan

Siobhan Previously Sio

Mine barely touched the millet . But sunflower seeds are like crack to them. And they love grapes. I've given mine bites of salmon, hamburger n chpd up prime rib , chpd up italian sausage n they gobbled it all up.