Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Tomorrow??? TOMORROW?????? YOU MEAN YOU'RE ACTUALLY GOING TO MAKE US WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW FOR PICS???? You KNOW how we feel about pictures around here Mr.! Boy you're brave! ;)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7chicks said:
Tomorrow??? TOMORROW?????? YOU MEAN YOU'RE ACTUALLY GOING TO MAKE US WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW FOR PICS???? You KNOW how we feel about pictures around here Mr.! Boy you're brave! ;)
Lol, I will get them early. :)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I've never done the cornish crosses ( or cornish for that matter) for meat, I've always used dual purpose birds. Keep us posted how it goes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
They are not difficult, just messy. :)

They eat all day and poop in what seems like a greater proportion than their intake. But seriously just be sure they have the right nutrition because they gain weight quickly and can get leg problems if they don't get to proper protein.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
doubleoakfarm said:
They are not difficult, just messy. :)

They eat all day and poop in what seems like a greater proportion than their intake. But seriously just be sure they have the right nutrition because they gain weight quickly and can get leg problems if they don't get to proper protein.
I have the grower ration, I was told to get that. Also, do I just wait till they look big enough, or, what is the timeframe, I think 6 -8 weeks.

I think for the next round, will do more duel purpose, since I can hatch 70 at a time now, I think I can keep my stock up in buff orpingtons, and use the Roos, they just take so long and eat so much, however, they will forage as well..

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
So is this your little buff orp. Looks very much like the one I got last Friday. Can't wait til she grows up as I love their look.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Energyvet said:
So is this your little buff orp. Looks very much like the one I got last Friday. Can't wait til she grows up as I love their look.
It is supposed to be Cornish cross, they were in with buffs, but, supposedly all the buffs sold. My wife thought them to be buffs as well, sure hope someone didn't buy all the buffs only to end up with a bunch of Cornish cross....I bet in a week or so, we will know for sure.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jim said:
I have the grower ration, I was told to get that. Also, do I just wait till they look big enough, or, what is the timeframe, I think 6 -8 weeks.

I think for the next round, will do more duel purpose, since I can hatch 70 at a time now, I think I can keep my stock up in buff orpingtons, and use the Roos, they just take so long and eat so much, however, they will forage as well..
We usually get them to about 5-8 lbs before butchering. You will have a couple really big and the rest a couple pounds less. You will loose a couple pounds in butchering so just grow them to the size you want. Younger ones will be fryers. A couple weeks later they will be big enough to be roasters. By then you will be tired of their mess and ready for them to go. Did I mention they are very messy?

Also, we used to raise them in the barn. If you keep them inside have plenty of bedding. We now raise them in a chicken tractor and move them twice a day.

Have fun! And they are definitely delicious.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
7chicks said:
Okay, so you gave us one adorable picture. YOU FORGOT THE OTHER TWO! I'm chick pic hungry here! :D
Lol, well, it is that times 3. I guess I am trying to not get attached to them....but I do want to document their growth, so, I will get then all 3 somehow tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want Cornish crosses grow your own.White Rock Hen crossed with a Cornish rooster. About three months from hatch to butcher

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hook said:
If you want Cornish crosses grow your own.White Rock Hen crossed with a Cornish rooster. About three months from hatch to butcher
I might have to look into it if I like the way they turn out. Of course, that means adding a new hen and roo to my mix. :)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts