Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started getting into chickens last year. Now it's chickens, ducks, peafowl, turkeys, guineas and a couple mean goats. I have buff orpingtons, old english bantams and 1 antwerp quail hen and hoping to find more SOON!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome! The farm life is addicting, isn't it? I've dabbled in the chicken keeping a couple of times, this time I think I'm stuck. I recently acquired my first turkey, and plan on getting a pair of goats before the summer is out. :)

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi! Welcome. :) I got 2 ducks for the first time this Spring. Like my chickens better though. They're less messy and a lot more friendly. I have 9 chickens of various breeds ages 2-3 years old.

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello and welcome. thats the trouble with chickens, they are very addictive lol
Thank you! And they are very addictive! All of my non chicken loving friends get tired of seeing my chick pics and hearin about what silly things my birds have done lately. Lol

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi! Welcome. :) I got 2 ducks for the first time this Spring. Like my chickens better though. They're less messy and a lot more friendly. I have 9 chickens of various breeds ages 2-3 years old.
I agree chickens are more fun than ducks. I have 3 and like to watch them swim and play but they don't really care to interact with ppl like my other birds do.

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome! The farm life is addicting, isn't it? I've dabbled in the chicken keeping a couple of times, this time I think I'm stuck. I recently acquired my first turkey, and plan on getting a pair of goats before the summer is out. :)
I started with chickens last year by spring I had peafowl, turkeys, guineas, ducks and 2 goats. This year I bought 6 poults, hatched 7 buff chicks, had an old english set and hatch 1 old english and 1 buff egg. Have guinea eggs in the bator now a guinea hen setting and 2 other bantams on eggs. I'm looking for antwerp quail chicks. And am also on a waiting list for pied peafowl. Lol I just can't stop. Lol what type of goats are you looking at getting?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I started with chickens last year by spring I had peafowl, turkeys, guineas, ducks and 2 goats. This year I bought 6 poults, hatched 7 buff chicks, had an old english set and hatch 1 old english and 1 buff egg. Have guinea eggs in the bator now a guinea hen setting and 2 other bantams on eggs. I'm looking for antwerp quail chicks. And am also on a waiting list for pied peafowl. Lol I just can't stop. Lol what type of goats are you looking at getting?
I'm looking to get Nubian goats. My next door neighbor has a boy that she tried to sell me a month or two back and another neighbor across the highway has girls that are 3 months old that he'll sell at a good price. I was convinced for a couple weeks and then I chickened out because someone said I'd have to do blood work on them first to make sure they're healthy. I'm not so sure that's entirely true.

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm looking to get Nubian goats. My next door neighbor has a boy that she tried to sell me a month or two back and another neighbor across the highway has girls that are 3 months old that he'll sell at a good price. I was convinced for a couple weeks and then I chickened out because someone said I'd have to do blood work on them first to make sure they're healthy. I'm not so sure that's entirely true.
I would do some research. I would say some people may do blood work to be sure they are healthy if they are buying a registered high dollar goat for 4h or breeding . Maybe it depends on the intended purpose? I don't no alot about goats. I wanted to get a few to keep as weed eaters in an area that's difficult to mow. I wanted pygmys so bf got me 2 boers. Lol we didn't have blood work done but bought them from 2 familys who raise show goats. We have had no health issues with them. Behavior issues is what I face daily lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
I only want the goats for milk and maybe soap making. The people we would get them from have very healthy goats, so I'm not too worried about their health. I'm not even worried about the male's behavior because he's a really good boy. :) Now the girl, might be a different story!

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only want the goats for milk and maybe soap making. The people we would get them from have very healthy goats, so I'm not too worried about their health. I'm not even worried about the male's behavior because he's a really good boy. :) Now the girl, might be a different story!
Then I would just go for it. Lol my boy was really good until he was getting near breeding age and then he just done a complete turn around. My plan wasn't to have any unaltered males but bf went and seen them alone and said I had to get him he picked me lol who could argue with that? Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts