New hens

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by FlaCummins, Aug 29, 2012.

1. FlaCummins

FlaCummins New Member

Any idea why breed these girls are? Previous owner or them from tsc and was told they were RIR. She says they're 4 1/2 months old do hopefully they'll start laying soon.

image-2900516614.jpg

Attached Files:

2. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

Golden sex links. I have four

3. FlaCummins

FlaCummins New Member

Thanks. They were in a large group of hens and a few turkeys. Every now and then they'll chirp like a turkey. Pretty funny to listen to. How soon do golden sex links start to lay? Supposedly they're 4 1/2 months old but I think they look a little small, but I'm still a newbie at chickens.

4. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I got mine as day olds in march and they still haven't started unless they are hiding them. I like that all mine look different

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Generally they will start laying at 5 months. There is individual variation of course. I know some animals have to achieve a certain body weight before their reproductive system kicks in. (people, cows, pigs). Rule of thumb - 5 months.

6. cindy

cindy New Member

they look like Red sexlinks to me...they started laying around 4 1/2 months
    here's a pic of my girls
    [​IMG]

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

BEAUTIFUL picture Cindy!!!

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Very pretty hens! I love red hens.

9. rob

rob New Member

great picture that cindy.

10. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

Cindy if you live near Alabama, Carter's legacy farms is having a photo contest. You should totally enter that one

11. cogburn

cogburn New Member

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I agree. Excellent photo. Beautiful hens.

13. FlaCummins

FlaCummins New Member

Ok so they've been sleeping with the two 4 year olds for the last few nights. Old girls go in first and young ones go in about an hour later. Can feel the tension when they go in. The two young girls at up before the sun eating and waiting for me to open te door do they can escape to the yard. My RiR isn't too bad unless they get to close to her but my black Australorp will go after the new girls no matter where they are. I stopped home for lunch an she had on pinned inside the coop and was pecking pretty hard. Will they ever get along or should I get rid of the Australorp?

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Try taking the Astrolorpe out for about 2 weeks. Then she how she is with reintroducing her under your supervision. If she starts right back up then give her another two weeks. If it doesn't go smoothly the second time, then you may need to rehome her.

15. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

Mmmmmmm it depends. How good of a chicken is the austrilops compared to the sex link? I think practically. If after the two week thing doesn't work pick the better chicken eat the other

16. FlaCummins

FlaCummins New Member

The sex links are young. Around 4 months old. The australorp is about 4 years old. She would definitely be the one getting eaten.

17. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

I love that photo!! That would be a great one for a caption contest!

18. oakwood

oakwood New Member

Lovely birds and photo . :)