Chicken Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. They were in a large group of hens and a few turkeys. Every now and then they'll chirp like a turkey. Pretty funny to listen to. How soon do golden sex links start to lay? Supposedly they're 4 1/2 months old but I think they look a little small, but I'm still a newbie at chickens.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I got mine as day olds in march and they still haven't started unless they are hiding them. I like that all mine look different

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Generally they will start laying at 5 months. There is individual variation of course. I know some animals have to achieve a certain body weight before their reproductive system kicks in. (people, cows, pigs). Rule of thumb - 5 months.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so they've been sleeping with the two 4 year olds for the last few nights. Old girls go in first and young ones go in about an hour later. Can feel the tension when they go in. The two young girls at up before the sun eating and waiting for me to open te door do they can escape to the yard. My RiR isn't too bad unless they get to close to her but my black Australorp will go after the new girls no matter where they are. I stopped home for lunch an she had on pinned inside the coop and was pecking pretty hard. Will they ever get along or should I get rid of the Australorp?

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Try taking the Astrolorpe out for about 2 weeks. Then she how she is with reintroducing her under your supervision. If she starts right back up then give her another two weeks. If it doesn't go smoothly the second time, then you may need to rehome her.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Mmmmmmm it depends. How good of a chicken is the austrilops compared to the sex link? I think practically. If after the two week thing doesn't work pick the better chicken eat the other

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The sex links are young. Around 4 months old. The australorp is about 4 years old. She would definitely be the one getting eaten.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts