Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My hubby and I just moved to our house we had built on 20 acres in deep S. Texas. I am super excited to get our first chickens as soon as I can get a coop with a run built.

Looking forward to meeting and learning from all of you!

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Welcome!

Come on in!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

I've been lurking around and there is a lot of great info! I've been waiting patiently for about 3 years to move onto our property and am so ready to get started!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hello and welcome! You're going to LOVE having chickens!!! Have you decided what kind you are going to get?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm not sure what type yet. I thought I wanted Americana (sp?) but after seeing some of the breeds listed here I am reconsidering. I want multipurpose with med to large eggs that have a good temperament. Oh and they need to be able to handle our S TX heat. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I love my white leghorns to death! They are pretty good multi-purpose birds and I think they are pretty tolerant! They are excellent layers and fabulous looking birds!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hello and welcome from Alaska. So excited for you. You are going to love having chickens. I love my Americana. She is the sweetest hen. Check around your area, see what people already raise there. They will know what does well in that heat. I sure wouldn't. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After reading through the posts yesterday I was tempted to stop at TS and pick up a few!

Two of each sounds great! DH wants me to keep it to 4 chickens for now. I figure that'll be manageable for now. : )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts