Chicken Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started my flock. The girls are all Ira reds at about a week old. Seem to be doing fine in their new home. Was wondering if there were any signs that I should look for to make sure there is no illness or such. Also is there anything that they like as treats? I have been told mealworms could be given

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I gave mine yogurt, cottage cheese, and cooked oatmeal with unsweetened apple sauce once they got a bit older.

·
227 Posts
Watch out for pasty butt. If one has it, use damp paper towel and gently clean. Otherwise it could be a deadly problem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Be careful when feeding them large foods that they can't digest. This can cause them to become crop bound. If this happens, give the chick sweet oil while holding it on its side, gently massaging its crop until the swelling goes down. I seemed to have this problem in my flock once.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have heard about pasty butt. Can it be combatted with warm yogurt and mealworms???
I am pretty sure that if you go with anything, yogurt is the best choice. I do not know if it fights it but I am pretty sure that it is a good way to keep from getting it! Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts